I have a big exam on Wednesday. It's the last one before the drop

• Thread starter iamintrouble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drop Exam
In summary, the speaker has a big exam on Wednesday and is seeking any tips or help to improve their grade. They are aiming for at least a B and have made poor grades on previous tests. They are allowed to use notecards with equations but struggle with knowing when to use certain equations. The exam will cover three chapters and the speaker is feeling disheartened and worried about their GPA. They deny using any substances or going out, but acknowledge the need for more sleep and quiet time. The speaker has a desire to learn and enjoy the subject, but has been focusing on getting a good grade.
iamintrouble
I have a big exam on Wednesday. It's the last one before the drop date. I just need all of the help I can get. Any help would be appreciated. Here is where I am right now:

• I want at least a B on this test.
  • Made very bad grades on first two tests.
  • However, if I get good marks on last two (very last one is a cumulative), I will get a B.
  • We are allowed to use notecards with equations (no actual words though).
  • We get a review, but it only has three types of problems.
  • Will cover three chapters: rotations, statics, and fluids

So, are there any tips that you can think of? I'm trying my best to study. I know WHY I am doing poorly (don't know when to use which equation). I've practiced and practiced and I STILL forget. The math is no problem. I'm just feeling really disheartened.

A C would really destroy my GPA (have a 3.7); and can't afford to drop another class (already dropped 2 in first two years of college). Thanks, guys.

Physics news on Phys.org

Are you drinking or doing drugs? Are you going out when you could be studying? Are you getting enough sleep and quiet time after studying so that your brain has a chance to store the information?

You're learning in order to obtain a good grade. That's the wrong attitude. You need to learn because you're hungry for knowledge and because you enjoy it.

Evo said:
Are you drinking or doing drugs? Are you going out when you could be studying? Are you getting enough sleep and quiet time after studying so that your brain has a chance to store the information?

No to drinking, drugs, and going out. Sleep and quiet time I definitely need to work on though.

micromass said:
You're learning in order to obtain a good grade. That's the wrong attitude. You need to learn because you're hungry for knowledge and because you enjoy it.

That attitude worked with all my past classes, so I thought it would work with this one too. :(

I understand the pressure and stress that comes with exams. It is important to remember that your performance on this exam does not define your intelligence or worth. With that being said, here are some tips that may help you prepare for your upcoming exam:

1. Prioritize your studying: Focus on the topics that you struggle with the most. Make sure you understand the key concepts and how to apply them in different problems. Don't spend too much time on topics that you already feel confident in.

2. Practice, practice, practice: As you mentioned, knowing when to use which equation is a challenge for you. The best way to overcome this is through consistent practice. Try solving different types of problems using the equations you need to know. This will help you become more familiar with when to use them.

3. Utilize resources: Take advantage of the review materials provided by your instructor. You can also reach out to classmates or teaching assistants for clarification on any confusing topics. Additionally, there are many online resources and videos that can help you understand difficult concepts.

4. Create your own study aids: Since you are allowed to use notecards with equations, make sure to create a comprehensive set of notecards that cover all the equations you need to know. This will not only help you during the exam, but also serve as a great study aid.

5. Take care of yourself: Make sure to get enough rest and eat well before the exam. It is important to be well-rested and nourished in order to perform your best.

Remember, it is okay to struggle and make mistakes. Use this as a learning opportunity and keep a positive attitude. Good luck on your exam!

Related to I have a big exam on Wednesday. It's the last one before the drop

1. What is the best way to prepare for a big exam?

The best way to prepare for a big exam is to start studying early and create a study plan. Make sure to review all of your notes and materials, practice with past exams or review questions, and get plenty of rest the night before.

2. How should I manage my time during the exam?

It is important to manage your time wisely during the exam. Make sure to read and understand all of the questions before answering, and budget your time accordingly. Don't spend too much time on one question and leave enough time to review your answers.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a question?

If you get stuck on a question, don't panic. Take a deep breath and try to break down the question to understand what it is asking. If you are still unsure, move on to the next question and come back to it later. You can also ask the instructor for clarification if needed.

4. How can I stay focused and calm during the exam?

Staying focused and calm during the exam is crucial for success. Make sure to take breaks if needed, stay hydrated, and use positive self-talk to boost your confidence. Remind yourself that you have prepared for this exam and trust in your abilities.

5. What should I do if I feel like I am going to fail the exam?

If you are feeling overwhelmed and worried about failing the exam, try to stay positive and focused. Take deep breaths and try to answer the questions to the best of your ability. Even if you don't do as well as you hoped, remember that this is only one exam and there are still other ways to improve your grade in the class.