I don't understand force as a function of time

In summary, a 2.70 kg box is moving to the right with a variable speed of 9.50 m/s on a horizontal, frictionless surface. At t = 0, a horizontal force is applied to the box. This force is directed to the left and has a magnitude of F(t)=(6.00 N/s2)t2. The box moves a distance of 6.272 meters from its original position before its speed is reduced to zero.
fishturtle1

Homework Statement

A 2.70 kg box is moving to the right with speed 9.50 m/s on a horizontal, frictionless surface. At t = 0 a horizontal force is applied to the box. The force is directed to the left and has magnitude F(t)=( 6.00 N/s2 )t2

What distance does the box move from its position at t=0 before its speed is reduced to zero?

Homework Equations

F = ma
vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad
xf = xi + vit + .5axt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So i am confused about this F(t) = 6.00(n/s2)t^2

I've read solutions to problems similar to this where they say to integrate to get a velocity equation and then solve for v=0.

So I did that:

a=6t^2
v=(6t^3)/3 + C, and plugged in my initial velocity, 9.50 m/s as C. I am not sure why but I saw someone do this in the solutions I looked at.

From this I solved for time and got 1.68s.

Then I used Newton's 2nd Law .

F = ma = 6.00t^2. I didn't include weight and normal force because the object is only moving along the x axis.

ma = 6.00t^2
2.70a=6.00(1.68^2)
a = 6.272m/s^2

Now that I have acceleration, initial velocity, initial position, and time, I use my kinematic equation to find the final position where Vf is 0.

xf = 0 + 9.5(1.68) + .5(6.272)(1.68^2)
xf= 15.96 + 8.85
xf = 24.8m

This is wrong. The parts where I am very confused are interpreting what F(t) = 6.00(N/s2)t^2 means compared to F(t) = 6.00N. I am also confused with knowing how to determine what C is, but maybe I would understand that part if I understood the force function. Thank you for looking at this!

Physics news on Phys.org
fishturtle1 said:

Homework Statement

A 2.70 kg box is moving to the right with speed 9.50 m/s on a horizontal, frictionless surface. At t = 0 a horizontal force is applied to the box. The force is directed to the left and has magnitude F(t)=( 6.00 N/s2 )t2

What distance does the box move from its position at t=0 before its speed is reduced to zero?

Homework Equations

F = ma
vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad
xf = xi + vit + .5axt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So i am confused about this F(t) = 6.00(n/s2)t^2

I've read solutions to problems similar to this where they say to integrate to get a velocity equation and then solve for v=0.

So I did that:

a=6t^2
v=(6t^3)/3 + C, and plugged in my initial velocity, 9.50 m/s as C. I am not sure why but I saw someone do this in the solutions I looked at.

From this I solved for time and got 1.68s.

Then I used Newton's 2nd Law .

F = ma = 6.00t^2. I didn't include weight and normal force because the object is only moving along the x axis.

ma = 6.00t^2
2.70a=6.00(1.68^2)
a = 6.272m/s^2

Now that I have acceleration, initial velocity, initial position, and time, I use my kinematic equation to find the final position where Vf is 0.

xf = 0 + 9.5(1.68) + .5(6.272)(1.68^2)
xf= 15.96 + 8.85
xf = 24.8m

This is wrong. The parts where I am very confused are interpreting what F(t) = 6.00(N/s2)t^2 means compared to F(t) = 6.00N. I am also confused with knowing how to determine what C is, but maybe I would understand that part if I understood the force function. Thank you for looking at this!

Your kinematics equations only hold for constant acceleration. In this case, you have a variable acceleration that is changing with time.

You need, therefore, to apply calculus to calculate distance and velocity over time. That's where the integration comes in.

Have you covered some course material on this?

PS A force of ##F = 6N## is a constant force. A force of ##F = 6t^2 (N/s^2)## is a force that starts at ##0## and increases with time, according to that formula. At ##t=10s##, say, the force would be ##600N##. You should be familiar with a function like that from your maths classes.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
fishturtle1 said:
I've read solutions to problems similar to this where they say to integrate to get a velocity equation and then solve for v=0. So I did that:

a=6t^2

You need to apply Newtons law first eg..

f=ma
so
a=f/m
then replace f with 6t2
a=6t2/m

then integrate to give velocity etc

Likes topsquark and UniqueName
Thank you I used this information to solve both parts of the problem. I use the integral of acceleration and of velocity to find time and then used that time to find position.

fishturtle1 said:
Thank you I used this information to solve both parts of the problem. I use the integral of acceleration and of velocity to find time and then used that time to find position.

How did you do it? I'm having some trouble on this question. This is what I got
a = (6t^2)/5
v = (2t^3)/5
x = (t^4)/10

9.5m/s = ((2N/s^2)t^3)/5kg
47.5N/s = (2N/s^2)t^3
23.75s=t^3
2.87s I'm not sure if the units are right here

then I use that in the x equation

x = (2.87s)^4/10 = 6.83 m? not sure about the units here either.

do I have to use another kinematics equation?

UniqueName said:
a = (6t^2)/5
v = (2t^3)/5
Include units, watch the signs (which are you taking as positive, left or right?) and don’t forget the constants of integration and initial conditions.

Likes topsquark
a = (6t^2)/5

Mass is 2.7kg not 5kg? Or is your problem slightly different?

CWatters said:
a = (6t^2)/5

Mass is 2.7kg not 5kg? Or is your problem slightly different?
I had misread it. The numbers are different for everyone, I just realized mine was 1.5kg not 5kg

haruspex said:
Include units, watch the signs (which are you taking as positive, left or right?) and don’t forget the constants of integration and initial conditions.
Like this?
a = ((6 N/s2) t2)/1.5kg
v = ((3 N/s2) t3)/1.5kg
I don't think the units change very much but I could be wrong

UniqueName said:
Like this?
a = ((6 N/s2) t2)/1.5kg
v = ((3 N/s2) t3)/1.5kg
I don't think the units change very much but I could be wrong
Yes, but I should have also said to work algebraically as far as possible. That means you won't need to worry about units until plugging in numbers at the end.
With regard to getting a solution, my other two recommendations are more relevant.

Related to I don't understand force as a function of time

1. What is force as a function of time?

Force as a function of time is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the force applied to an object and the time during which the force is applied. It can be expressed as a graph or an equation.

2. How is force related to time?

Force and time are directly related, meaning that as the time during which a force is applied increases, the force also increases. This can be seen in the equation F = m * a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration, all of which can change over time.

3. What are some real-life examples of force as a function of time?

There are many real-life examples of force as a function of time, such as a car accelerating from a stop (increasing force over time), a person pushing a heavy object (constant force over time), or a ball being thrown into the air (decreasing force over time due to gravity).

4. How is force as a function of time important in physics?

Force as a function of time is a fundamental concept in physics as it helps us understand the relationship between force and motion. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in various scenarios, such as collisions, free-fall, and projectile motion.

5. Can force as a function of time be negative?

Yes, force as a function of time can be negative. This occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of its motion, resulting in a decrease in the object's speed over time. For example, when a car is braking, the force applied is negative as it opposes the car's forward motion.