I Don't Like Mondays: How Boomtown Rats Got Stuck in My Head

• Thread starter CFDFEAGURU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head Stuck
In summary, Brenda Spencer said "I don't like Mondays" and "It was just a lot of fun" before opening fire on children at Cleveland Elementary School.
CFDFEAGURU
Somehow I managed to get the Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays, stuck in my head

Likes Lizabella and Evo
Physics news on Phys.org
haha, I Iove Mondays! The possibilities for the new week are endless :)

Likes CFDFEAGURU
Yeah, I don't mind them but I do mind when I get that song stuck in my head. :)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I love the song, it sounds so upbeat, but when you find out what it's about...

On 29 January 1979, 16-year-old Brenda Ann Spencer opened fire on children arriving at Cleveland Elementary School in San Diego from her house across the street, killing two men and wounding eight students and a police officer. Principal Burton Wragg was attempting to rescue children in the line of fire when he was shot and killed, and custodian Mike Suchar was slain attempting to aid Wragg.

Spencer used a rifle her father had given her as a gift. As to what impelled her into this form of murderous madness, she told a reporter, "I don't like Mondays. This livens up the day."

The "Mondays" comment was not the only eyebrow-raising declaration to issue from Spencer that day. According to a report written by the police negotiators who spoke with her during the six-hour standoff, she made
such comments to them as "There was no reason for it, and it was just a lot of fun"; "It was just like shooting ducks in a pond"; and "[the children ] looked like a herd of cows standing around, it was really easy pickings."

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/mondays.asp#El2k9VoeLo8L5ycw.99

Likes Lizabella
I will admit, I didn't know the song's history...

CFDFEAGURU said:
I will admit, I didn't know the song's history...
Me neither.

I hate it when I fall in love with a song, then view the video and it's something horrible. Nice way to ruin a song!

Likes Lizabella
lisab said:
Me neither.
I hate it when I fall in love with a song, then view the video and it's something horrible. Nice way to ruin a song!
Don't seek the video. There are many videos on the web. :D Enjoy the melody that soothes your mood. That's the point. :D

Dammit!

Now it's stuck in my head!

Why did I click on it?

Likes Lizabella
CFDFEAGURU said:
... I do mind when I get that song stuck in my head. :)
Choppy said:
Now it's stuck in my head!...
I once ran into the same trouble and realized then that I needed more lubricated food for thoughts.

Likes CFDFEAGURU

Related to I Don't Like Mondays: How Boomtown Rats Got Stuck in My Head

1. What is the meaning behind the lyrics of "I Don't Like Mondays"?

The song was written by Bob Geldof of the band Boomtown Rats in response to a shooting spree that occurred in San Diego in 1979. The shooter, a 16-year-old girl, explained her actions by saying "I don't like Mondays." The song explores the senselessness of this tragedy and the disconnect between the shooter's actions and her reasoning.

2. How did "I Don't Like Mondays" become so popular?

Despite its dark subject matter, the catchy chorus and memorable guitar riffs made the song a hit. It reached #1 on the UK Singles Chart and #73 on the US Billboard Hot 100. Its popularity was further boosted by its use in various films and TV shows, cementing its place in popular culture.

3. Did "I Don't Like Mondays" have any controversy surrounding it?

Yes, the song faced some controversy due to its graphic lyrics and subject matter. Some radio stations refused to play it, and it was banned in some countries. However, this controversy only added to the song's notoriety and helped it gain popularity.

4. How did "I Don't Like Mondays" impact the music industry?

The song has been credited with influencing the development of alternative rock and new wave music. Its use of synthesizers and electronic elements was groundbreaking for its time and paved the way for future artists in these genres.

5. What other notable events or accolades are associated with "I Don't Like Mondays"?

The song has been covered by numerous artists, including Tori Amos, The Boomtown Rats' own Geldof, and even the cast of the TV show Glee. It was also featured in the popular video game Guitar Hero and received a BMI Award for over 3 million radio plays in the US alone.