I don't agree with the solution manual of a mixed poisson problem

In summary, the conversation is about solving a mixed Poisson's problem on a disk with given boundary conditions. The solution involves using a Fourier series expansion and treating the problem as a Poisson problem for 0<r<1/2 and a Laplace problem for 1/2<r<1. The reason for only considering the Poisson problem for 0<r<1/2 is not clear and the person is asking for a proof of this approach.
yungman

Homework Statement

Solve mixed poisson's problem on disk given

[itex]\nabla^2 U= r sin \theta \hbox{ for } 0 <r< \frac{1}{2}[/itex]

[itex]\nabla^2 U= 0 \hbox{ for } \frac{1}{2} < r < 1[/itex]

With given boundary condition [itex]U(1,\theta)=0[/itex]

2. Answer from the solution manual

[tex] U(r,\theta) = \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\phi_{mn}(r,\theta) [/tex]

[tex] \phi_{mn}(r,\theta)= J_m(\lambda_{mn}r)[A_{mn}cos (m\theta) + B_{mn}sin (m \theta)] [/tex]

Helmholtz [tex]\Rightarrow \nabla^2 \phi_{mn}(r,\theta)= -\lambda_{mn}\phi_{mn}(r,\theta) [/tex]

[tex] \nabla^2 \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\phi_{mn}(r,\theta) = \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}-\lambda_{mn}J_m(\lambda_{mn}r)[A_{mn}cos (m\theta) + B_{mn}sin (m\theta)] = r sin(\theta) [/tex]

Using Fourier series expansion:

[tex]\Rightarrow \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} -\alpha^2_{1n} B_{1n} sin(\theta) J_1(\alpha_{1n}) = r sin(\theta) [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow -sin(\theta) \int_0^{\frac{1}{2}} \alpha^2_{1n} B_{1n} J^2_{1n}(\alpha_{1n}r)rdr = \int_0^{\frac{1}{2}}sin(\theta) r^2 J_1(\alpha_{1n}r)dr [/tex]

[tex]-\alpha^2_{1n} B_{1n} = \frac{J_2(\frac{\alpha_{1n}}{2}}{2\alpha_{1n}J^2_2(\alpha_{1n})}[/tex]

3. My questions:

Why is this treated as only a poisson problem only for 0<r<1/2 and ignor 1/2<r<1.

I thought this is a two parts problem where it is a poisson problem for 0<r<1/2 and Laplace problem for 1/2<r<1.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone please?

I know this is very similar to Fourier series expansion like:

f(x) = h(x) for 0<x<1
f(x) = 0 for 1<x<2

0<x<2

Where the Fourier series expansion only integrate from x=0 to x=1 only and totally ignor the portion of x=1 to x=2.

I never see the prove, this only show up in the work problems. Can anyone show me the prove of this.

Related to I don't agree with the solution manual of a mixed poisson problem

1. How do I know if the solution manual for a mixed Poisson problem is incorrect?

One way to determine if the solution manual is incorrect is to check your calculations and ensure that you have followed the correct steps. Additionally, you can consult with your peers or instructor to compare your solution with others.

2. What should I do if I don't agree with the solution manual for a mixed Poisson problem?

If you don't agree with the solution manual, it is best to first analyze your own solution and identify any potential errors. If you still believe the solution manual is incorrect, you can discuss it with your peers or bring it to the attention of your instructor for further clarification.

3. Is it common for solution manuals to contain errors for mixed Poisson problems?

Solution manuals are created by humans, and as such, they are not infallible. It is not uncommon for solution manuals to contain errors, especially in more complex problems such as mixed Poisson problems. It is always important to double-check your work and not solely rely on the solution manual.

4. What should I do if I find an error in the solution manual for a mixed Poisson problem?

If you have identified an error in the solution manual, you can bring it to the attention of your instructor or the publisher. They may be able to provide a corrected version or update the solution manual for future editions.

5. Can I still get a good grade if I don't agree with the solution manual for a mixed Poisson problem?

Grades are typically based on your understanding and application of the concepts, rather than solely on the solution manual. As long as you can show your work and explain your reasoning, you can still receive a good grade even if you don't agree with the solution manual.