I do not understand this vector identity proof

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is trying to follow their professor's notes and work on a proof involving vector operations. The student's answer is incorrect because they do not fully understand how to convert summations to vector quantities. They are also confused about the meaning of F times nabla and whether it is the same as nabla times F. The professor's G is equivalent to the student's q. The student eventually solves the problem by breaking it down and linking the formulas to the vector operation in the last step.
Xyius
So I am trying to follow my professors notes. Here is my work on the proof. And on the bottom is my answer and his answer. I know my answer is wrong, as I do not fully understand how to convert the summations at the end to their vector quantities. Is my work incorrect?

[PLAIN]http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/6175/questionn.gif

I do not even know what F times nabla means. I know nabla times F is divergence. Are they the same?

EDIT: Oh and his G is my q.

AND his answer has a -(G*Nabla)*F at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
u know, i have done the above proof, i.e,
curl of (A χ B)
but it came out to be (B .[itex]\nabla[/itex])A-B([itex]\nabla[/itex] . A)-(A.[itex]\nabla[/itex]) B+ A ([itex]\nabla[/itex] . B)

u see, i am just a beginner in this topic, and i didn't do it like u did it. instead i broke it down all the way and did it. I know it is stupid but i was not so sure so... but i did check the answer and it was correct.

I got my answer to be his answer. My main confusion was linking the formulas to the vector operation in the last step.

Related to I do not understand this vector identity proof

1. What is a vector identity proof?

A vector identity proof is a mathematical process used to prove the equality or equivalence of two vector expressions. It involves manipulating and simplifying the expressions using vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

2. Why is understanding vector identity proofs important?

Understanding vector identity proofs is important because they are used in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They allow us to solve complex problems involving vectors and confirm the validity of mathematical equations.

3. How do I approach understanding a vector identity proof?

To understand a vector identity proof, it is important to have a strong understanding of vector algebra and operations. Start by breaking down the proof into smaller, more manageable steps and familiarize yourself with the properties and rules of vector operations. It can also be helpful to look at examples and practice solving similar proofs.

4. What are some common challenges when trying to understand vector identity proofs?

Some common challenges when trying to understand vector identity proofs include unfamiliarity with vector operations, difficulty recognizing patterns and similarities between expressions, and not having a clear understanding of the properties and rules used in the proof.

5. Are there any resources available to help understand vector identity proofs?

Yes, there are various resources available to help understand vector identity proofs, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It can also be helpful to attend lectures or seek help from a tutor or instructor if needed.