I can't tell the difference between these groups :/

In summary, Z(G) is the center of a group G and consists of all elements that commute with all other elements in G. C(g) is the centralizer of a specific element g in G and consists of all elements that commute with g. Z(G) is always a subgroup of G, while C(g) may or may not be a subgroup depending on the specific element g.
Firepanda
Z(G) = { x in G : xg=gx for all g in G } (center of a group G)

C(g) = { x in G : xg=gx } (centralizer of g in G)
I have to show both are subgroups, but what's the difference in the methods?

To me the first set is saying all the elements x1, x2,... in G when composed with every element in g, commute.

The second set tells me what x1, x2,... in G when composed with a single chosen element from g in G, commute.

Is this correct?I've found the way to show Z(G) is a subgroup from here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_(group_theory)#As_a_subgroupSo how does this differ from C(g), what other steps do I need?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
We say that two elements x, y of G commute if xy = yx. Suppose we have an element x of G, if it commutes with all other elements of G then it belongs to Z(G), which we call the center of G. Hence, Z(G) consists of all elements which commute with everything else. Notice that Z(G) depends only on G and doesn't refer to any specific element.

On the other hand C(g) depends on a specific element g in G. It's the set of all elements of G which commutes with g.

Try doing some examples.

Related to I can't tell the difference between these groups :/

What does it mean when I can't tell the difference between these groups?

When you can't tell the difference between two or more groups, it means that there is little or no discernible distinction between them based on the criteria you are using to compare them.

Why is it important to be able to differentiate between groups in scientific research?

In scientific research, being able to differentiate between groups is important because it allows us to accurately understand and analyze the data. Without clear distinctions between groups, it becomes difficult to draw meaningful conclusions and make accurate predictions.

What factors can contribute to difficulty in differentiating between groups?

There are several factors that can contribute to difficulty in differentiating between groups, such as small sample sizes, overlapping characteristics or measurements, and lack of clearly defined parameters or criteria for comparison.

How can I improve my ability to differentiate between groups in my research?

To improve your ability to differentiate between groups in your research, you can take steps such as increasing sample sizes, using more precise and specific criteria for comparison, and utilizing statistical analysis techniques.

What should I do if I am still struggling to differentiate between groups in my research?

If you are still struggling to differentiate between groups in your research, it may be helpful to consult with a statistician or seek guidance from other researchers in your field. Additionally, reassessing your research methods and approach may also provide insight into why you are having difficulty differentiating between groups.