I can see how it works but how do i prove it?

• Thread starter Chatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Works
In summary, the scientific method is a systematic approach that involves making a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and drawing conclusions. Scientific discoveries are proven through replication by other scientists. Data plays a crucial role in supporting scientific concepts and theories, which are well-supported explanations based on evidence. Skepticism and criticism towards scientific discoveries can be addressed by presenting transparent and reproducible evidence and welcoming further testing from other experts.
Chatt

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8725/mathhelp.gif

I can kinda see that p(x) will be smaller than L1 and larger than Ln, but I have no idea of how to prove it. As a side note; p(x) is really the rayleigh quotient.

Please help, I sat up till very late last night, just looking at it without doing any progress :s

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
for one way, how about trying replacing all the Li by Ln, noting Li>=Ln for all i?

Related to I can see how it works but how do i prove it?

1. What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach used to answer questions or solve problems through observation, experimentation, and analysis. It involves making a hypothesis, testing it through controlled experiments, and drawing conclusions based on the results.

2. How do you prove a scientific discovery?

In order to prove a scientific discovery, the findings must be replicated by other scientists through independent experiments. This helps to confirm the validity of the results and supports the credibility of the discovery.

3. What is the role of data in proving a scientific concept?

Data is crucial in proving a scientific concept as it provides evidence to support or reject a hypothesis. The data must be collected accurately and analyzed objectively to draw reliable conclusions.

4. Can a theory be proven?

In science, a theory is a well-supported explanation based on a large body of evidence. While theories may never be proven beyond any doubt, they can be strongly supported by multiple lines of evidence.

5. How do you address skepticism or criticism towards a scientific discovery?

Scientists address skepticism or criticism towards a scientific discovery by presenting their evidence and results in a transparent and reproducible manner. They also welcome further testing and scrutiny from other experts in the field to strengthen the credibility of their findings.