I am tired of using Maple, I am going to switch over to Mathematica

In summary: The professional license has more features (like being able to share the license with others,) but it is more expensive.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

That's right, Maple is the dumbest program in existence. Everything I try to erase a line by hitting delete or backspace, it won't disappear. When I want to use an function, I have to load a package ex. "Student Linear Algebra" to use a certain command.

Sometimes the commands give you only one solution when you are trying to use a root finder.

Sometimes it switches to text mode on you when you are on math mode. Sometimes your text mode is red and an error message keeps poping up and you have no clue what's going on.

I could go on.

So the problem? I am going to switch to Mathematica

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.wolfram.com/mathematica-home-edition/?src=google&129+[mathematica]&gclid=CMnb3PqK8KYCFQcKbAodrgcGEA

I am a college student and I have no idea which edition should I purchase, does a new version work better? Is it just like Microsoft word that they change the interface?

I use Wolfram from time to time and I have to say IT KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT. Not only does it show me the steps, it graphs, it does everything.

I also find the commands much easier to learn.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm with you on that, but I'm going to have to stick to Maple since that's what my course uses.

All editions of Mathematica are the same features and interface. The differencesare in the licensing. IE Who is allowed to use them.

If you are a college student then your cheapest option is the Student Edition.

JonMcLoone said:
All editions of Mathematica are the same features and interface. The differencesare in the licensing. IE Who is allowed to use them.

If you are a college student then your cheapest option is the Student Edition.

What does it mean then? The licensing?

flyingpig said:
What does it mean then? The licensing?

The main points are:

The Student Edition is only licensed for use by a full time student.
The Home Edition is only licensed for use by individuals (not organizations) on work for which you are not getting paid.

If you are not a student and are want to use Mathematica for your professional work, or the license will be owned by your employer or for installation on your employers computers, then you need to get the Professional License.

But will I get anything less or miss out on anything?

Threee things to consider:
1) Sometimes, students can get a free copy of Mathematica from their school's IT people (I got one as a student.)

2) Do the computers in your school's labs have Mathematica on it?

3) I don't know what your uses are going to be, but have you tried Wolfram|Alpha?

And I agree, Mathematica is WAY better than maple.

No, I am a Canadian so everyone pretty much all the Math professors have a Maple 14 shrine or something.

flyingpig said:
But will I get anything less or miss out on anything?

The student version has all of the features of the Professional license.

Related to I am tired of using Maple, I am going to switch over to Mathematica

1. Why do you want to switch from Maple to Mathematica?

There could be a variety of reasons for wanting to switch from Maple to Mathematica. Some people find that Mathematica has a more user-friendly interface, while others prefer the advanced features and capabilities offered by Mathematica. It ultimately depends on personal preference and the specific needs of the user.

2. Is there a steep learning curve when transitioning from Maple to Mathematica?

While there may be a slight learning curve when switching from one software program to another, both Maple and Mathematica are powerful tools with similar functionality. If you are familiar with one, it should not be too difficult to pick up the basics of the other.

3. Are there any major differences in the capabilities of Maple and Mathematica?

Both Maple and Mathematica have a wide range of capabilities and can handle many complex mathematical and scientific tasks. However, Mathematica is known for its advanced symbolic and numerical computation abilities, while Maple is often used for its user-friendly interface and visualization tools.

4. Can I transfer my work from Maple to Mathematica?

Yes, it is possible to transfer your work from Maple to Mathematica. Both programs allow for importing and exporting files, although the process may vary depending on the specific file formats used.

5. Are there any cost differences between Maple and Mathematica?

Yes, there are cost differences between the two programs. Maple is a one-time purchase, while Mathematica requires a yearly subscription. However, many universities and institutions offer student or academic discounts for both programs.