I am preparing for graduate school

In summary, you have a strong background for graduate study in theoretical astrophysics, applied physics, and condensed matter physics. Taking additional courses and gaining research experience will further enhance your background. The relevance of your undergraduate university may vary depending on the graduate school, but academic excellence, research experience, and letters of recommendation are important factors in admissions decisions. There are also many industrial applications in astrophysics, making it a versatile and valuable field of study.
Bullrun1
Hello my name is Andrew. I am new to this forum, but have skimmed over academic advise in the past (much appreciated). I have a list of the major courses that i have taken as well as what research i have been involved in, among other things below. My main interests as of this moment not in any order: Theoretical astrophysics, Applied physics, and condensed matter physics. My question is other than the classes i have yet to take and the GRE, do i possesses the necessary background for graduate study in these areas? If not, what would additional courses would you recommend. If so, what else could i do to improve my background still? My other question is if there is any relevance for how graduate schools view the undergraduate university you attended. I am aware that different schools have different criterion, but my question centers more with upper tier schools. I am also interested to know if there are any industrial applications in astrophysics, in case i wanted to pursue a position in applied physics with a focus in astrophysics. The university i am attending is Western Kentucky University, which is known more for its photojournalism than its physics. It has a decent program, however.

Current Physics GPA: 3.72
Current math GPA: 3.81

Courses taken pertaining to major:

Astrophysics (introduction to various topics such as ISM, Quasars, cosmology, etc.)
Classical mechanics I
Classical mechanics II
intermediate Electrodynamics I
Statistical mechanics
introduction to modern Physics(Introduces QM, alpha,gamma, beta decay, etc.)
Data acquisition using Labview (utilization of the Labview program for modeling systems in order to extract data and learn the methods of analyzing data)

Classes yet to take: intermediate Electrodynamics II
Quantum Mechanics
Computational physics (If they offer it, the professor who usually teaches it left the university and they haven't offer it in a while)

Mathematics taken: Calc1-3, ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, linear algebra, complex variables, numerical analysis I (There are two semesters), and differential geometry I (there are two semesters, first semester covered absolute plane geometry, parallel postulate, as well as an axiomatic treatment of Hyperbolic plane geometry).

I have also taken the first semester of computer science. (mainly utilization of python).

Research: 1 year under my department head, working on a model for quasars and analyzing it, in attempt to understand many things, such as why there is a flux variability for different time scales, as well why black holes emit jet of radiation from both sides, and why are they not continuous? etc..This is still under progress.

I have yet to do an internship, but i plan on doing one this summer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In answer to your question, it sounds like you have a good background for graduate study in the areas of theoretical astrophysics, applied physics, and condensed matter physics. However, taking intermediate Electrodynamics II, Quantum Mechanics, and Computational Physics will help strengthen your background in these areas. Additionally, any research or internships you can do relating to these topics will be beneficial.As far as relevance of which undergraduate university you attended, it is important to note that many graduate schools place emphasis on academic excellence, research experience, and letters of recommendation from professors in your field of study, regardless of the institution you attended. However, it is also important to note that top-tier graduate schools may still take into account the university you attended when making admissions decisions.Regarding industrial applications in astrophysics, there are indeed many such applications. For instance, astrophysics can be used to study and analyze the behavior of stars and galaxies, which can lead to insights into the nature of dark matter and energy. Additionally, astrophysics can be used to develop ways to detect and track asteroids and other space objects, which can be useful for predicting potential collisions and other space-related events.

Related to I am preparing for graduate school

1. What are the requirements for graduate school?

The specific requirements for graduate school vary depending on the program and university. Generally, you will need a bachelor's degree in a related field, strong letters of recommendation, a high GPA, and a competitive score on the GRE or other standardized tests. Some programs may also require relevant work or research experience.

2. How do I choose the right graduate program?

When choosing a graduate program, it's important to consider your career goals, research interests, and personal preferences. Research different programs and universities, and consider factors such as faculty, curriculum, location, and cost. It can also be helpful to speak with current or former graduate students in your field of interest.

3. How can I prepare for the application process?

Preparing for the graduate school application process involves several steps. Make sure you have a strong academic record, obtain relevant experience through internships or research, and reach out to potential recommenders early. Additionally, make sure to familiarize yourself with the application requirements and deadlines for each program you are applying to.

4. What is the difference between a master's and a PhD program?

A master's program typically takes 1-2 years to complete and focuses on coursework and practical skills in a specific field. A PhD program, on the other hand, can take 5-7 years and involves extensive research and a dissertation. A PhD is typically required for careers in academia and research, while a master's may be more suitable for certain professional fields.

5. How can I stand out in the graduate school application process?

To stand out in the graduate school application process, you should have a strong academic record, relevant experience, and compelling letters of recommendation. Additionally, consider highlighting any unique skills or experiences, such as language proficiency or leadership roles. It can also be helpful to tailor your application materials to each specific program and demonstrate your passion and dedication to your field of study.