I am Planning to take College Physics , but I Have Never Taken Physics

In summary, the conversation revolves around taking Calculus and Calculus Base Physics in the next semester. It is mentioned that the physics class will only cover topics such as statics, dynamics, force, motion, energy, momentum, rotational motion, elasticity, and simple harmonic motion. The question is raised whether one can do well in the physics class without having taken physics in high school. The response suggests that as long as one enjoys physics and is willing to put in the effort to catch up, they should do well. It is also mentioned that the physics class teaches from scratch and one should be fine as long as they put in the effort. The conversation also touches upon the concern of not having previously taken calculus, but it is reassured that
adelin
In my next semester I will take Calculus and Calculus Base Physics, which only covers Statics and dynamics of particles and rigid bodies; force and motion; energy and momentum; rotational motion, elasticity and simple harmonic motion.

Would I do well in the physics class without physics in high school?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you really enjoy physics you can defintely do it =)
You may have to read around and catch up a bit, but if the subject is interesting to you then that isn't a problem. The only thing which can possibly stop you from not doing well is whether you end up finding out that you don't really enjoy it, so do read a bit of physics before hand and figure out whether it is for you or not

They teach it to you as if you have never learned it before, from scratch. You should be fine

I've never seen physics before this course and I got a B+ in it, but I am of below average intelligence so you should do well in it

adelin said:
In my next semester I will take Calculus and Calculus Base Physics, which only covers Statics and dynamics of particles and rigid bodies; force and motion; energy and momentum; rotational motion, elasticity and simple harmonic motion.

Would I do well in the physics class without physics in high school?

My high school was too small to offer courses like physics, calculus, etc. Therefore, I'd never taken it before college either and did well. If you put in the time, study smartly, and ask for help when necessary, then you should be fine.

I would be more concerned about not having previously taken calculus rather than physics.

Don't worry, the only thing you'll need to know by heart will be: [tex] F = ma [/tex]

Related to I am Planning to take College Physics , but I Have Never Taken Physics

1. What are the prerequisites for taking college physics?

The prerequisites for taking college physics typically include high school level courses in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Some colleges may also require a basic understanding of calculus.

2. Will not having any prior knowledge of physics put me at a disadvantage?

Not having any prior knowledge of physics may make the beginning of the course challenging, but many college physics courses are designed for students who have never taken physics before. It is important to have a strong foundation in math and a willingness to learn and work hard.

3. What topics will be covered in a college physics course?

Topics covered in a college physics course may include mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, waves and optics, and modern physics. Different colleges may have slightly different curriculums, so it is best to check with the specific institution for a detailed course outline.

4. How can I prepare for college physics if I have never taken it before?

You can prepare for college physics by reviewing basic math skills, particularly algebra and trigonometry. You can also find online resources or textbooks to familiarize yourself with some of the concepts and equations that will be covered in the course.

5. Are there any resources available to help me succeed in college physics?

Many colleges offer tutoring services or study groups for students taking physics courses. You can also ask your professor for extra help or attend office hours. There are also numerous online resources and practice problems available to help you better understand the material.