Hyperconductivity in dense high energy particle streams/sheets

In summary: This individual is talking about how high-energy electrons in regions of our radiation belts can create hyperconductivity. This could be used for a variety of applications, such as powering spacecraft and storing energy.
silverslith
Anyone know anything about this? I've heard that above a "hyperconduction threshhold" of charged particle density, particularly with electrons, the stream or sheet current magnetically locks, syncrotron radiative losses vanish and the stream exibits many of the properties of superconductivity like resistance to magnetic field changes etc.
That sheet currents of electrons bound the surfaces of ball lightning and other magnetoplasmoid structures, containing large atmospheric pressure differentials etc.
If this is true, How much current can hyperconducting electron beams carry? how much density of electrons can be achieved? How does the phenomina respond as particle energy increases? Could it be possible to store energy in these structures with electrons at relativistic velocities, possibly making even antimatter look puny in stored energy density terms? :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a reference? Preferably something in a peer-reviewed journal or something that summarizes what is in them?

<<crackpot links deleted>>

Both talk about hyperconductivity in ball lightning like structures with suggestions of fusion reactor and ball lightning cannon weapons applications- star trek "phaser" style.

I've also last year read a patent on stabilising electron beams with pulses of electrons above hyperconducting density threshold. Can't find it anymore.
It does seem real. Sunspots and magnetars are suggested naturally utilising it too.

With there being regions in our radiation belts with 100 thousand ~10Mev electrons per cubic centimeter (these have over 10 times as much kinetic energy mass as their rest mass.) it would seem like these magnetoplasmoids could store already accelerated reactionmass for spacecraft , refuel around any magnetic planet, and possibly solve the manned spaceflight shielding problem as part of the bargain. All with very little mechanism mass to carry along.
If they could be miniturised and safely enclosed, we'd have batteries that could fit in your pocket and power your car for a lifetime unrecharged.
I'd love to see some data on the laws and limits of particle density, energy, scaling effects etc as in my question so I can estimate the potential for these ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
When a site promises "solution to the world's energy needs", and "revolutionary breakthroughs" and doesn't have anything in a peer reviewed journal, I tend to get a bit suspicious.

Heh. :-) me too. And I've got to wonder on their focus on fusion and war stuff when the principles involved have so much other applications. Maybe bait for the big cheques, an opinion.
Still the question of the behaviour of the principles involved. Ball lightenings couldn't exist for many seconds if they didn't I suspect. Theres supposed to have been one~10m dia caught on hspeed video popping out the top of a thundercloud and exiting the area at 300km per second. When I think about the effect that half the mass exiting tangentially at the equator would have in accelerating the remains I've got to laugh at my "safely contained" comment above. Whats the mass to energy conversion factor of the best nukes? under 0.1% isn't It? a pocket full of half a kg or so of 10Mev electrons would be like a multimegaton bomb. Lols (lots of [very bright] light :-) )
Is it the same as the "hyperconductivity" surface effects on nanoscale layered high temp superconductives that's popped up in megapages just in the last 6 months when you google hyperconductivity?

Last edited:
Who knows what this guy means when he uses "hyperconductivity". Like I said - nothing in a real journal.

That Patent on stabilising electron beams was real. Unless the patent office didn't verify the working prototype properly. Anyone have access to a patent database?
Maybe its been designated an American national insecurity risk. The funding for spheromak fusion did change from DOE to DOD in 1990ish. Then vanish, publicly anyway.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6396213.html

..." increases the magnetic coupling in the plasma ring 204 , driving an EMF that accelerates the electron current of the plasma ring (azimuthal current 208 and poloidal current 211 ) to energetic or relativistic values, illustrated in FIG. 12 g . The increase in intensity of the flux 210 results from substantial loss of the azimuthal field 198 component within the plasma ring 204 . This effect also provides an EMF which drives runaway azimuthal currents 208 at the inner surface of the forming mantle, to relativistic values. These processes generate EMFs on the order of tens of kilovolts per loop. Since the closing time is on the order of many microseconds, which allows many revolutions to multiply the per loop EMF, high gamma runaway currents of many million electron volts are produced. The resulting energetic electron currents 208 and 211 , on the order of ten gamma, are associated with conductivities, known as hyperconductivity, of at least about five or six orders of magnitude greater than either copper or thermal plasma conductivities. In the present invention the conductivity is preferably at least 10 10 (ohm-cm) −1 , more preferably at least 10 11 (ohm-cm) −1 , most preferably at least 10 12 (ohm-cm) −1 . With the collapsed azimuthal field 198 and plasma of the straight section of the central channel 194 , the neighboring plasma sheath 192 , closes inward driven by the fluid 10 . The portion of the central channel that does not coalesce into the ring current, dissipates rapidly, as indicated at 209 . This completes the formation of the stable and distinctive compound plasma configuration, or PMK, 42 , illustrated in FIG. 12 h."...

Last edited by a moderator:
The patent office doesn't verify that a prototype - of anything - works. Their position - quite sensibly - is that if it doesn't work, royalties won't be an issue.

I don't think a conspiracy theory is needed to explain anything.

Isn't this principle how those plasma forcefield window thingies work? they are supposed to sustain big pressure differentials?

What plasma forcefield window thingies?

silverslith said:
Isn't this principle how those plasma forcefield window thingies work? they are supposed to sustain big pressure differentials?

Vanadium 50 said:
What plasma forcefield window thingies?

Poster likely means the Hershcovitch Plasma Window out of Brookhaven.

Abstract
The Plasma Window is a stabilized plasma are used as an interface between accelerator vacuum and pressurized targets. There is no solid material introduced into the beam and thus it is also capable of transmitting particle beams and electromagnetic radiation with low loss and of sustaining high beam currents without damage. Measurements on a prototype system with a 3 mm diameter opening have shown that pressure differences of more than 2.5 atmospheres can be sustained with an input pressure of ~10-6 Torr. The system is capable of scaling to higher-pressure differences and larger apertures. Various plasma window applications for synchrotron light sources, high power lasers, internal targets, high current accelerators such as the HAWK, ATW, APT, DARHT, spallation sources, as well as for a number of commercial applications, are discussed
The plasma window: a windowless high pressure-vacuum interface for various accelerator applications
Hershcovitch, A.I. Johnson, E.D. Lanza, R.C.
Particle Accelerator Conference, 1999. Proceedings of the 1999
Publication Date: 27 March-2 April 1999
Volume: 1
On page(s): 584 - 586 vol.1

Related to Hyperconductivity in dense high energy particle streams/sheets

What is hyperconductivity?

Hyperconductivity is a phenomenon where the electrical resistance of a material drops to zero, allowing for the flow of particles or energy with no loss. This is typically only observed at extremely low temperatures, but recent research has shown it may also occur in dense high energy particle streams or sheets.

How is hyperconductivity in dense high energy particle streams/sheets different from traditional superconductivity?

Traditional superconductivity occurs in materials at very low temperatures, while hyperconductivity in dense high energy particle streams or sheets can occur at higher temperatures. Additionally, the mechanisms for these phenomena are different, with hyperconductivity being driven by the interactions between particles rather than the pairing of electrons in traditional superconductivity.

What are the potential applications of hyperconductivity in dense high energy particle streams/sheets?

Hyperconductivity in dense high energy particle streams or sheets has the potential to revolutionize fields such as particle acceleration and fusion energy. It could also have implications for high-speed data transfer and communication technologies.

What challenges are associated with studying hyperconductivity in dense high energy particle streams/sheets?

One of the main challenges is creating and controlling these dense high energy particle streams or sheets in a laboratory setting. This requires advanced technology and specialized equipment. Additionally, understanding the complex interactions between particles in these conditions is a difficult task.

What are some current research developments in the field of hyperconductivity in dense high energy particle streams/sheets?

Some current research developments include studying the behavior of hyperconductivity in different types of particle streams or sheets, as well as exploring potential applications in areas such as particle accelerators and fusion energy. Scientists are also working to better understand the mechanisms behind hyperconductivity in these conditions and how it can be optimized for practical use.