Hyperbolic PDE, Cauchy-type problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution to a partial differential equation with specific initial conditions. The speaker used the discriminant method to categorize the equation as hyperbolic and found the general solution to be in the form of u(x,y) = F(- \frac{2}{3}y^3 + x) + G(2y + x). After applying the initial conditions, they were able to solve for the general functions F(x) and G(x), but were unsure of how to proceed from there. The speaker is seeking clarification on their method and next steps.
thelema418

Homework Statement

Consider the equation
[itex]4y^2u_{xx} + 2(1-y^2)u_{xy} - u_{yy} - \frac{2y}{1+y^2} (2u_x - u_y) = 0[/itex]

Find the solution [itex]u(x,y)[/itex] which satisfies [itex]u(x,0) = g(x)[/itex], and [itex]u_y(x,0) = f(x)[/itex], where [itex]f, g \in \mathcal{C}^2(\mathbb{R})[/itex] are arbitrary functions.

Homework Equations

I used the discriminant method to show that this PDE can be categorized as hyperbolic. I found that the characteristics are [itex]s= - \frac{2}{3}y^3 +x[/itex] and [itex]t = 2y + x[/itex]. I know the general solution is the form [itex]u(x,y) = F( - \frac{2}{3}y^3 +x) + G(2y + x)[/itex]. (Depending on algebra of finding the characteristics, this may be stated in a different way.)

The Attempt at a Solution

There are other problems I have done without such abstract conditions, so I followed the general solution style I have been using. NAMELY:

Find [itex]u_y[/itex]: [itex]-2y^2 F'( - \frac{2}{3}y^3 +x) + 2G'(2y+x)[/itex]. Then, look at the initial values.

[itex]u(x,0) = F(x) + G(x) = g(x)[/itex]
[itex]u_y (x,0) = 0 + 2 G'(x) = f(x)[/itex]

Since [itex]u_y[/itex] has already isolated one of the general functions, I work with it. I integrate with respect to [itex]x[/itex]. Ultimately, I get

[itex]G(x) = \frac{1}{2} \int f(x) \; dx [/itex]

Solving for [itex]F(x)[/itex] with this information, I get

[itex]F(x) = g(x) - \frac{1}{2} \int f(x) \; dx [/itex]

At this point I've reached a "SO WHAT?" stage. In the previous problems, the function was simply a multiplication factor that was easy to manipulate. I found the multiplication factor and then I multiplied the original information by it to get a [itex]u(x,y)[/itex].

I feel that I should calculate:
[itex]F(-\frac{2}{3} y^3 + x) = g(-\frac{2}{3} y^3 + x) + \frac{1}{2} \int -\frac{2}{3} y^3 + x \; d(-\frac{2}{3} y^3 + x)[/itex]
[itex]G(2y+x) = \frac{1}{2} \int 2y + x \; d(2y + x)[/itex]

Yet, I feel like this is going to get me nowhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, my questions are: Is the method I am using correct? If not, what should I do? If so, what do I do next?

Related to Hyperbolic PDE, Cauchy-type problem

1. What is a hyperbolic partial differential equation (PDE)?

A hyperbolic PDE is a type of differential equation that describes the behavior of a physical system in terms of how it changes over time and space. It involves a function and its derivatives with respect to both time and at least one spatial variable.

2. What is a Cauchy-type problem for a hyperbolic PDE?

A Cauchy-type problem for a hyperbolic PDE is a specific type of initial value problem where the values of the function and its derivatives are specified at a single point in space and time. The solution to this problem gives the behavior of the system at all points in space and time.

3. What are some examples of hyperbolic PDEs?

Some examples of hyperbolic PDEs include the wave equation, the heat equation, and the Euler equations for fluid dynamics. These equations are commonly used to model physical phenomena such as sound waves, heat transfer, and fluid flow.

4. How are hyperbolic PDEs different from other types of PDEs?

Hyperbolic PDEs are characterized by the fact that the behavior of the system can be predicted by knowing the initial conditions at a single point in space and time. This is in contrast to elliptic and parabolic PDEs, which require boundary or initial conditions over an entire region in order to determine the behavior of the system.

5. What are some methods for solving hyperbolic PDEs?

Some common methods for solving hyperbolic PDEs include the method of characteristics, the finite difference method, and the finite element method. These methods involve approximating the solution to the PDE using a discrete set of points and then using numerical techniques to solve the resulting system of equations.