Hyperbolic function and the product rule.

In summary: R^2 and f(x) = sinh^2(r/R).In summary, the question asks for the equation dN/dS ∝ S^-5/2/cosh(r/R), and provides the equation A=4πR^2sinh^2(r/R). The solution involves using the chain rule to differentiate A with respect to r, which would eliminate the factor 4πR^2 and leave cosh(r/R) as the desired term in the final equation.
titowakoru

Homework Statement

The question I am trying to answer requires me to find the following:

dN/dS ∝ S^−5/2/cosh(r/R)

and I am giving the follwing equation in the question.

A=4πR^2 sinh^2⁡〖(r/R)〗

The Attempt at a Solution

Right I know how to get the S^-5/2 in the top half of the equation.

I also understand that the cosh part comes from the differentiation of A. The problem I have is after applying the product rule to A I end up with this:

dA/dr=8πRsinh^2 (r/R)+ 8πR^2 sinh⁡(r/R)cosh⁡(r/R)

I am stuck on how the terms cancel to leave me with cosh(r/R) so i can reach the equation required.

Physics news on Phys.org
titowakoru said:

Homework Statement

The question I am trying to answer requires me to find the following:

dN/dS ∝ S^−5/2/cosh(r/R)

and I am giving the follwing equation in the question.

A=4πR^2 sinh^2⁡〖(r/R)〗

The Attempt at a Solution

Right I know how to get the S^-5/2 in the top half of the equation.

I also understand that the cosh part comes from the differentiation of A. The problem I have is after applying the product rule to A I end up with this:

dA/dr=8πRsinh^2 (r/R)+ 8πR^2 sinh⁡(r/R)cosh⁡(r/R)

I am stuck on how the terms cancel to leave me with cosh(r/R) so i can reach the equation required.

The product rule doesn't apply here, but the chain rule does. The factor 4πR2 is considered to be a constant as far as differentiation with respect to r is concerned.

Ah, I see. So applying the chain rule with respect to r would mean that 4πR^2 would disappear because the derivative of a constant is zero?

If y = c * f(x), then dy/dx = c * d[f(x)]/dx

Last edited:

Related to Hyperbolic function and the product rule.

1. What is a hyperbolic function?

Hyperbolic functions are mathematical functions that are defined in terms of the exponential function. They include the hyperbolic sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant functions.

2. How are hyperbolic functions related to the product rule?

The product rule is a differentiation rule that allows us to find the derivative of a product of two functions. Hyperbolic functions satisfy the product rule, meaning that the derivative of a product of two hyperbolic functions can be found using the product rule.

3. Can the product rule be applied to all hyperbolic functions?

Yes, the product rule can be applied to all hyperbolic functions. This includes both the standard hyperbolic functions (sinh, cosh, tanh, etc.) and their inverse functions (arcsinh, arccosh, arctanh, etc.).

4. What is the formula for the product rule in terms of hyperbolic functions?

The product rule for hyperbolic functions can be written as (f*g)' = f'*g + f*g', where f and g are two hyperbolic functions and f' and g' are their derivatives.

5. Why is the product rule important for hyperbolic functions?

The product rule is important for hyperbolic functions because it allows us to find the derivatives of more complicated functions involving hyperbolic functions. This is especially useful in applications such as physics and engineering.