Hyperbolic cosine identity help

In summary, the identity cosh^2(x) = (cosh(2x) - 1)/2 can be derived by squaring the identity for cosh(x) and simplifying the result using the double angle identity for cosh(2x). This can also be shown by combining the identities for cosh(x) and sinh(x).
s.perkins

Homework Statement

Show that cosh^2(x) = (cosh(2x) - 1)/2

Homework Equations

cosh(x) = (e^x + e^-x)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted this multiple times and get the same results every time.
Squaring cosh(x) I get 1/4(e^2x + e^-2x +2), which is i believe 1/4(cosh(2x) +2).

Maybe i just can't see it but how it that equivalent to the identity above??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wait, so what are you trying to show?

the first is just normal double angle cos and can be shown by looking at Re and I am of (e^(itheta))^2

Last edited:
welcome to pf!

hi s.perkins! welcome to pf!:smile:
s.perkins said:
cosh(x) = (e^x - e^-x)/2

erm :redface:

cosh(x) = (e^x plus e^-x)/2 :wink:

looks like the correct form has been used in the square, but also don't forget the factor of 2 as well...
cosh(2x)=(e^(x)+e^(-2x))/2

Sorry fixed the typo. I did include the 1/2, when its squared you get a 1/4 in front.

s.perkins said:
Squaring cosh(x) I get 1/4(e^2x + e^-2x +2), which is i believe 1/4(cosh(2x) +2).

might as well use equals as its a bit clearer what you're trying

here should be

cosh(x)^2
= (e^2x + e^-2x +2)/4
= (2(e^2x + e^-2x)/2 +2)/4
= (2cosh(2x) +2)/4
= (cosh(2x) +1)/2

which is a valid identity, as shown by adding th two below together
cosh(x)^2- sinh(x)^2=1
cosh(x)^2+sinh(x)^2=cosh(2x)
which gives
2cosh(x)^2=cosh(2x)+1

Related to Hyperbolic cosine identity help

1. What is a hyperbolic cosine identity?

A hyperbolic cosine identity is a mathematical equation that relates the hyperbolic cosine of a sum or difference of two numbers to the product of their individual hyperbolic cosines. It is written as cosh(x+y) = cosh(x)cosh(y) or cosh(x-y) = cosh(x)cosh(y).

2. How is a hyperbolic cosine identity useful?

Hyperbolic cosine identities are useful in simplifying and solving complex mathematical problems involving hyperbolic functions. They are also used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and statistics.

3. Can you provide an example of a hyperbolic cosine identity?

One example of a hyperbolic cosine identity is cosh(2x) = 2cosh^2(x) - 1. This identity is frequently used in solving integrals involving hyperbolic functions.

4. How is a hyperbolic cosine identity derived?

A hyperbolic cosine identity can be derived from the definitions of hyperbolic cosine and exponential functions, along with the properties of exponentials. It can also be derived using trigonometric identities and the relationship between hyperbolic and circular functions.

5. Are there other hyperbolic function identities similar to the hyperbolic cosine identity?

Yes, there are other hyperbolic function identities that are similar to the hyperbolic cosine identity, such as the hyperbolic sine identity and the hyperbolic tangent identity. These identities also relate the hyperbolic functions of sums or differences to the product of their individual functions.