Hydrogen excited with polarized light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of hydrogen in its fundamental state when excited with linear polarized light and put in a magnetic field. The direction of polarization is determined by the direction of the electric field vector of light, which is perpendicular to the direction of propagation. In the absence of a magnetic field, the direction of polarization is in the (x,y) plane, but when an external magnetic field is present, the direction of polarization is either parallel or perpendicular to the magnetic field depending on the orientation of the light.
atomqwerty
Hello,
First of all, i know I should use the template for this, and I apologize for that, but the thing is I don't even know how to begin to solve the next problem, and it's very important for me and for my tomorrow's afternoon exam. It's quite qualitative, and I'm sure most of you will know the answer very quickly. Here it goes:

Hydrogen in its fundamental state is excited with lineal polarized light, and the return to lower states is observed. When the hydrogen is put in a magnetic field with Z direction, there are not new frequencies in the spectrum. However, the emission is unfolded in two lines when the direction of polarization is turned Pi/2. Justify this fact and say what is the direction of polarization in those two cases.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The direction of polarization is accepted to take the direction of electric field vector of light.
In first case, when there is not an external magnetic field the direction of polarization is in the direction of electric field vector of linear polarized light. If light is propagating in z direction then electric vector is perpendicular to the z direction, e.i. it lies in (x,y) plane. If there is not new frequencies in spectrum when hydrogen is put in the magnetic field then probably the light propagates perpendicular to the external magnetic field. The electric vector of light is parallel to the magnetic field, e.i. the direction of polarization is in the z direction.When the direction of polarization is tuned pi/2, then the electric vector is perpendicular to the magnetic field, e.i. the direction of polarization is perpendicular to the z direction.

Thank you, that was helpful ;)

Related to Hydrogen excited with polarized light?

1. What is hydrogen excited with polarized light?

Hydrogen excited with polarized light refers to the process of using polarized light to excite the electrons in a hydrogen atom, causing them to jump to higher energy levels. This results in the emission of light as the electrons return to their ground state.

2. What is the purpose of exciting hydrogen with polarized light?

The purpose of exciting hydrogen with polarized light is to study the energy levels and transitions of the hydrogen atom. By analyzing the emitted light, scientists can gain a better understanding of the structure and behavior of the atom.

3. How is polarized light used to excite hydrogen?

Polarized light is produced by passing unpolarized light through a polarizing filter. This polarized light is then directed at a sample of hydrogen gas, causing the electrons in the hydrogen atoms to absorb the energy and become excited.

4. What are the applications of studying hydrogen excited with polarized light?

Studying hydrogen excited with polarized light has various applications in fields such as astrophysics, chemistry, and materials science. It can help in understanding the composition of stars, identifying unknown substances, and designing new materials with specific properties.

5. What are some techniques used to detect light emitted from hydrogen excited with polarized light?

Some techniques used to detect the light emitted from hydrogen excited with polarized light include spectrophotometry, spectroscopy, and photoluminescence. These methods measure the intensity and wavelength of the emitted light to analyze the energy transitions in the hydrogen atom.