Light with circular polarization passes through a polarimeter

In summary, the conversation discusses the density matrix and the state of a linear polarized light in the direction ##\textbf{a}##. It is mentioned that the probability of finding a system in a specific state can be calculated by taking the trace of the product of the density matrix and the state. The formula for this probability is given and it is confirmed that it is correct.
Albfey
Homework Statement
Consider light of circular polarazed, that can be either right or left. If this light passes through a polarimeter in the direction ##\textbf{a} = (cos \theta, sin \theta), what is the probability of find a photon with polarization in this direction?
Relevant Equations
$$|R \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\binom{1}{i}$$

$$|L \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\binom{1}{-i}$$
I think I can write the density matrix as $$\rho = \frac{1}{2} ( |R \rangle \langle R | + |L \rangle \langle L | ).$$ The state of a linear polarized light in the direction ##\textbf{a}## can be write as $$|\theta \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} ( e^{-i \theta} |R\rangle + e^{i \theta} |L\rangle ).$$ The propability of find a system described by ##\rho## in a state ##|\theta \rangle## is given by $$Tr(\rho |\theta \rangle \langle \theta |)$$ Is this correct? I haven't calculated this yet because I don't know if it's right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct. To calculate the probability, you just need to compute the trace:$$Tr(\rho |\theta \rangle \langle \theta |) = \frac{1}{2} \left[ \langle R | \theta \rangle \langle \theta | R \rangle + \langle L | \theta \rangle \langle \theta | L \rangle \right] $$Using the definition of $|\theta \rangle$, you can simplify this to$$Tr(\rho |\theta \rangle \langle \theta |) = \frac{1}{2} \left[ | \langle R | \theta \rangle |^2 + | \langle L | \theta \rangle |^2 \right]$$which is equal to 1.

Related to Light with circular polarization passes through a polarimeter

What is circular polarization?

Circular polarization is a type of light polarization where the electric field of the light wave rotates in a circular motion as it travels through space.

What is a polarimeter?

A polarimeter is a scientific instrument used to measure the angle of polarization of light passing through a sample.

How does light with circular polarization behave in a polarimeter?

When light with circular polarization passes through a polarimeter, it will either be transmitted or absorbed depending on the orientation of the polarimeter's polarizer and analyzer. If they are aligned, the light will be transmitted, but if they are perpendicular, the light will be absorbed.

What are the applications of circular polarization and polarimeters?

Circular polarization and polarimeters have various applications in science and technology, including in optical communication, astronomy, and material analysis.

How is circular polarization different from linear polarization?

Linear polarization is when the electric field of light travels in a straight line, while circular polarization is when the electric field rotates in a circular motion. This is the main difference between the two types of polarization.