Hydrogen electrode incoherence?

In summary, the author thinks that by definition, the enthalpy of formation of H+ is zero, even though it is not an element and not in a standard state.
sebastiank007
Today I was studying Atkins physical chemistry basics and I saw a bit of incoherence.

ΔrG°=ΔrH°-TΔr
ΔrG°=ΔfG°(products) - ΔfG°(substrates)
ΔrG°=nFE°

Data: ... ΔfH° ... ΔfG°...ΔS°(J*K*mol-1)
H2(g)...0......0......130,684
H+......0.....0.....0

2H+(aq) 2e- => H2(g)

Using second and third equation second and third equation I get ΔrG°=0
But using first equation I get ΔrG°=ΔrH°-TΔrS°=0-298*130,684= -39 kJ/mol

I thought I can't calculate ΔG for half reaction but I must have used it while calculating Cu2+ + e- => Cu+ potential
from Cu2+ + 2e- => Cu and Cu+ + e- => Cu potentials.

Can someone explain this to me?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
sebastiank007 said:
H+......0.....0.....0

Of all things I don't understand about your post, this is the most striking one. By definition enthalpy of formation is zero for an element in a standard state. H+ is not an element and not in a standard state, so I don't see why its enthalpy of formation is zero.

Don't ask me, ask Atkins...

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 414
Took me a while to figure this one out, but I think I got the answer.

First, it is clear that ΔrG° = 0, since this is what you get from the difference in ΔfG° of the products and reactants and from the standard potential (since E° = 0). So the question is then why does the other equation give ΔrG° ≠ 0? It turns out that there is an entropy of hydration for an electron, and it cancels out the entropy of formation of H2(g), such that ΔrS° = 0.

Reference: H. A. Schwarz, Enthalpy and entropy of formation of the hydrated electron, J. Phys. Chem. 95, 6697 (1991).

The explanation of DrClaude sounds convincing. Nevertheless I would try to avoid working with Delta G's for half reactions at all costs. I don't see why you need it. It is rather trivial to calculate the half potential you are want from the half potentials you are given.
Namely taking the three equations
1) Cu2+ + e- => Cu+
2) Cu2+ + 2e- => Cu
3) Cu+ + e- => Cu
You can write symbollically 1=2-3 and literally for the free energies
##\Delta G(1)=\Delta G(2) - \Delta G(3) ##.
Now use ##\Delta G=nFE^0## to get
##E^0(1)=2E^0(2)-E^0(1)##.

PS: Atkins is probably the lousiest book on physical chemistry on hte market. Get a better one.

Thanks for your answers. It makes much more sense to me now.

Related to Hydrogen electrode incoherence?

What is a Hydrogen electrode incoherence?

A Hydrogen electrode incoherence refers to a phenomenon where the measured potential of a Hydrogen electrode deviates from the expected value. This can be caused by various factors such as impurities in the electrode or incorrect calibration.

How is a Hydrogen electrode used in scientific experiments?

A Hydrogen electrode is commonly used as a reference electrode in electrochemical experiments. It provides a stable potential against which other electrodes can be measured. It is also used in determining pH values of solutions.

What are the potential sources of incoherence in a Hydrogen electrode?

Some potential sources of incoherence in a Hydrogen electrode include impurities in the electrode, incorrect calibration, changes in temperature or pressure, and contamination of the electrolyte solution.

How can incoherence in a Hydrogen electrode be minimized?

To minimize incoherence in a Hydrogen electrode, it is important to use high-quality, pure electrodes and to properly calibrate them before use. Maintaining a stable temperature and pressure can also help reduce incoherence.

Can incoherence in a Hydrogen electrode affect experimental results?

Yes, incoherence in a Hydrogen electrode can affect experimental results by introducing errors in potential measurements. This can lead to inaccurate conclusions and affect the overall reliability of the experiment.