Calculating NaOH dissociation entalphy problem

• Thread starter tester.dla.mmc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dissociation
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of NaOH dissociation and the calculation of ΔrH using standard enthalpy change of formation. The calculation is shown to be incorrect due to a mistake in the value given for ΔfH (Na+(aq)). The conversation also touches on the concept of exothermic and endothermic reactions and the difference between counting and calculating.
tester.dla.mmc
NaOH dissociation is exothermic so ΔH<0

But when I have a reaction
NaOH(s) => Na+(aq) + OH-(aq)

and count ΔrH using standard entalphy change of formation:
ΔfH (NaOH) = -425 kj/mol
ΔfH (OH-(aq)) = -230 kj/mol
ΔfH (Na+(aq)) = +242 kj/mol
Data from Atkins phisical chemistry basics

ΔrH= ΔfH (products) - ΔfH (substrates) = (-230 + 240,12) - (-425) = +435,12 kj/mol
From this calculation it seems that reaction is pretty endothermic and that's surely not true.

Can someone tell me where am I making mistake ?

Physics news on Phys.org
tester.dla.mmc said:
ΔfH (Na+(aq)) = +242 kj/mol

And not -242 kJ/mol?

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chartstables/a/heatoformions.htm

Generally speaking hydration of small ions is quite exothermic, so this positive value looks suspicious.

BTW: you count fingers, but you calculate amount. Number of fingers - liczba palców, amount of water - ilość wody, palce są przeliczalne, ilość jest nieprzeliczalna.

Thanks for so fast response.

ΔfH (Na+(aq)) value in my book was given without sign (probably author just forgot about it) and I assumed that it must be positive since losing electron is usually positive (didn't take into consideration that is't (aq) ion) but now everything makes much more sense.

Thank you

Related to Calculating NaOH dissociation entalphy problem

1. How do you calculate the dissociation enthalpy of NaOH?

The dissociation enthalpy of NaOH can be calculated using the following equation: ΔH = q/m, where ΔH is the enthalpy change, q is the heat absorbed or released, and m is the mass of NaOH.

2. What are the units for dissociation enthalpy?

The units for dissociation enthalpy are joules per mole (J/mol).

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated dissociation enthalpy for NaOH?

The accuracy of the calculated dissociation enthalpy for NaOH can be affected by factors such as experimental errors, temperature fluctuations, and impurities in the NaOH sample.

4. How does the dissociation enthalpy of NaOH differ from other alkali metal hydroxides?

The dissociation enthalpy of NaOH is lower than other alkali metal hydroxides due to the smaller size of the sodium ion and the stronger bond between sodium and oxygen.

5. What are some practical applications of knowing the dissociation enthalpy of NaOH?

The dissociation enthalpy of NaOH is useful in industries such as soap and detergent manufacturing, paper production, and water treatment. It also plays a role in understanding the properties of solutions containing NaOH.