Hydrogen Atom in Uniform Electric Field

In summary, The conversation discusses the use of the trial function |ψ>=c1|1s>+c2|2pz> to find an upper bound to the energy of a hydrogen atom in a uniform electric field. The matrix representation of the Hamiltonian is constructed and the eigenvalue problem is solved to obtain the energy. The coefficient α, which represents the approximate dipole polarizability of the system, is calculated to be 2.96, slightly different from the exact result of 4.5. The conversation also touches on the symmetry and Hermiticity of the Hamiltonian. The book does not provide an analytic expression for the coefficient, which may account for the slight discrepancy in results.
Frank0
I just did exercise 1.22 in Modern Quantum Chemistry by Szabo and Ostlund. This is a practice problem about linear variational method.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: The Schrodinger equation(in atomic units) for a hydrogen atom in a uniform electric field F in the z direction is
(-1/2∇2-1/r+Frcosθ)|ψ>=(H0+Frcosθ)|ψ>=ε(F)|ψ>
Use the trial function |ψ>=c1|1s>+c2|2pz>
where |1s> and |2pz> are normalized eigenfunctions of H0, i.e.,
|1s>=exp(-r)/sqrt(pi)
|2pz>=r*exp(-r/2)*cosθ/sqrt(32pi)
to find an upper bound to ε(F). In constructing the matrix representation of H, you can avoid a lot of work by noting that
(H0)|1s>=-1/2|1s>
(H0)|2pz>=-1/8|2pz>
Using sqrt(1+x)=1+x/2, expand your answer in a Taylor series in F, i.e.,
E(F)=E(0)-αF2/2+...
Show that the coefficient α, which is approximate dipole polarizability of the system, is equal to 2.96. The exact result is 4.5.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've done the integral and got
<1s|H|1s>=-1/2
<1s|H|2pz>=<2pz|H|1s>=F*128sqrt(2)/243
<2pz|H|2pz>=-1/8
so matrix representation of H is
(-1/2 F*128sqrt(2)/243)
(F*128sqrt(2)/243 -1/8)
Solve the eigenvalue problem for H we get
E(F)=-5/16-3/16*(1+8388608/534681 F2)1/2 (lower eigenvalue)
and α=524288/178227

My question is
(a)Is there any intuitive explanation for <1s|H|1s>=<1s|H0|1s> and same for 2pz?
(b)Is there any intuitive explanation about why H=H0+Frcosθ is Hermitian?
(c)If anyone is willing to repeat the calculation could you please check the result for me? The book says α=2.96 but I get α=524288/178227=2.94...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Frank0 said:
(a)Is there any intuitive explanation for <1s|H|1s>=<1s|H0|1s> and same for 2pz?
Symmetry. If you put the (undisturbed, symmetric) ground state in a uniform electric field, the increased potential at one side is canceled by the lowered potential at the other side.

(b)Is there any intuitive explanation about why H=H0+Frcosθ is Hermitian?
It is just another potential shape plus the usual kinetic term.

(c)If anyone is willing to repeat the calculation could you please check the result for me? The book says α=2.96 but I get α=524288/178227=2.94...
Does the book give an analytic expression? Maybe it is just a rounding error.

mfb said:
Symmetry. If you put the (undisturbed, symmetric) ground state in a uniform electric field, the increased potential at one side is canceled by the lowered potential at the other side.

It is just another potential shape plus the usual kinetic term.

Does the book give an analytic expression? Maybe it is just a rounding error.

Thanks and the book does not give analytic expression, I put exactly what the book says between the dash line.

Related to Hydrogen Atom in Uniform Electric Field

1. What is a hydrogen atom in a uniform electric field?

A hydrogen atom in a uniform electric field is a simplified model of a hydrogen atom that is subjected to a constant electric field. This means that the positive charge of the nucleus and the negative charge of the electron experience a force in opposite directions, causing the electron to move in a specific direction.

2. How does a uniform electric field affect a hydrogen atom?

The uniform electric field causes the energy levels of the hydrogen atom to split, meaning that the electron can exist in different energy states depending on its position in the electric field. This splitting is known as the Stark effect.

3. What is the significance of a hydrogen atom in a uniform electric field?

The hydrogen atom in a uniform electric field is a fundamental model that helps scientists understand the behavior of atoms in electric fields. It also has practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices and the study of atomic spectra.

4. How is a hydrogen atom in a uniform electric field studied?

Scientists use mathematical equations and simulations to study the behavior of a hydrogen atom in a uniform electric field. They also conduct experiments using specialized equipment to observe the effects of the electric field on the atom.

5. What are some real-life examples of a hydrogen atom in a uniform electric field?

One example is the hydrogen lamp, which uses a uniform electric field to excite the hydrogen atoms and produce a specific spectral line. Another example is the hydrogen maser, a highly accurate clock that uses the Stark effect to stabilize its frequency.