Hydrodynamics: Meniscus Height in Thin and Wide Cylinders

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of a meniscus in a thin cylinder due to hydrodynamics and surface tension effects. The characteristic height of the meniscus is referred to as "h" and the question is whether this height will remain the same or change when the cylinder is widened to a macroscopic dimension. The response explains that the height of the meniscus will depend on the radius of the cylinder, but there will always be a small amount of curvature in the vicinity of the contact line. A reference is provided for further understanding. It is also mentioned that there is a lower limit to how small the cylinder can be due to Laplace's equation.
mkrems
If I have some water in a thin (on the order of micrometer or nanometer even) cylinder, a
meniscus will form due to hydrodynamics and surface tension effects. There will be some characteristic height of the meniscus above the surface of the "bulk" water. Let's call this height "h". If I make the cylinder wider, say, to a macroscopic dimension, will this height "h"
remain the same or change? Please offer a reference if possible!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your question- a cylinder is not an equilibrium fluid shape, unless there is contact line pinning (and no bouyancy).

In any case, the surface of the fluid is not physically distinct from the bulk- the surface can be endowed with properties that result in discontinuous bulk properties (jump conditions), but the meniscus does not exist at some height off of the bulk.

Can you expand your question a little more?

I am now looking at my "macroscopically sized" glass of water. It looks pretty flat - no obvious meniscus.

Oh- I think I understand what the poster is referring to.

The fluid-fluid interface is curved in the vicinity of the contact line due to the balance of the wetting force and bouyancy (Laplace equation). The height of the meniscus, as compared to the fluid height of the reserviour (http://www.ce.utexas.edu/prof/kinnas/319LAB/Book/CH1/PROPS/caprisegif.html) will depend on the radius of the tube because of the mass of fluid that has to be pulled up. But, the small amount of curvature in the immediate vicinity of the contact line is independent of the geometry and will always be present.

http://www.up.ac.za/academic/civil/divisions/geotechnical/pgcourses/sgm782/themes/theme3/objectives3.html

(section 3.1 is of relevance)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh- I think I understand what the poster is referring to.

The fluid-fluid interface is curved in the vicinity of the contact line due to the balance of the wetting force and bouyancy (Laplace equation). The height of the meniscus, as compared to the fluid height of the reserviour (http://www.ce.utexas.edu/prof/kinnas/319LAB/Book/CH1/PROPS/caprisegif.html) will depend on the radius of the tube because of the mass of fluid that has to be pulled up. But, the small amount of curvature in the immediate vicinity of the contact line is independent of the geometry and will always be present.

http://www.up.ac.za/academic/civil/divisions/geotechnical/pgcourses/sgm782/themes/theme3/objectives3.html

(section 3.1 is of relevance)

And there is a lower limit to how small the tube can be- Laplace's equation again. It shows that the pressure required to drive fluid into a small void increases as the pore radius decreases. To get water into a nanometer sized tube requires extremely high pressures, or extremely low interfacial energies.

Edit- not sure why there was a pseudo double-post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Hydrodynamics: Meniscus Height in Thin and Wide Cylinders

1. What is hydrodynamics?

Hydrodynamics is the study of how liquids and gases move and interact with each other and with solid objects.

2. What is the meniscus height in a thin cylinder?

The meniscus height in a thin cylinder is the height of the curved surface of a liquid, such as water, when it is placed in a narrow tube or cylinder. It is caused by the cohesive forces between the liquid molecules and the container, which pull the liquid up along the sides of the container.

3. What is the meniscus height in a wide cylinder?

The meniscus height in a wide cylinder is typically less than in a thin cylinder due to the larger surface area of the liquid exposed to the air. This allows for a greater amount of liquid to evaporate, reducing the height of the meniscus.

4. How does the surface tension of the liquid affect the meniscus height?

The surface tension of a liquid is the force that causes the molecules at the surface of the liquid to stick together. This force contributes to the curved shape of the meniscus and can affect its height. The higher the surface tension, the higher the meniscus height will be.

5. What factors can affect the meniscus height in thin and wide cylinders?

The meniscus height can be affected by various factors such as the type of liquid, temperature, humidity, and the material and shape of the container. Additionally, the presence of impurities in the liquid or on the container's surface can also impact the meniscus height.