When does the plate of glass loosen from a glass cylinder in water?

In summary, the problem is that there is a force on the glass plate that keeps it in place. Hydrostatic pressure is what is keeping it in place.
justduy

Homework Statement

A thin glass plate is pressed at the end of a glass cylinder. The glass cylinder with the glass plate at the bottom is dipped in water so that the plate is 25 cm under the water surface (The glass cylinder i open, meaning only the bottom part is closed, due to the glass plate). They we proceed with filling this cylinder with Ethanol, and the question is: how much Ethanol must we fill until the plate loosens. It asks for the height of Ethanol, meaning how high must we fill it.

(I realize that this is not the easiest way to describe the problem, but being that my English is not that good, this is the best I can do. Sorry in advance)

Density of Ethanol: 0.79 * 10^3 kg/m^3
of Water: 1.00 * 10^3 kg/m^3

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know, I looked at the proposed solution, but I understand nothing. The book never said anything else about this. The proposed solution said that the plates loosens when the pressure of water = pressure of ethanol, basically: D(water) * g * h (25 cm) = D(ethanol) * g * h (this is what we are supposed to find).

I don't understand why...

Physics news on Phys.org
Ignoring the model solution: just thinking about it for a bit - what are the forces on the glass plate?

Simon Bridge said:
Ignoring the model solution: just thinking about it for a bit - what are the forces on the glass plate?
It says nothing about what kinds of forces that are in play. The only thing we get to know is that: the plate of glass is pushed at the end of the cylinder of glass which is then put under water.

justduy said:
It says nothing about what kinds of forces that are in play. The only thing we get to know is that: the plate of glass is pushed at the end of the cylinder of glass which is then put under water.

Think of hydrostatic pressure ...

ehild

... if the glass end was not under water, it would just fall off.
Why? What is it about being under water that holds the glass plate in place?
(As ehild points out: think - hydrostatic pressure... you'll see you are told a lot about the forces on the plate.)

This question does not come just out of the blue: you have been doing some coursework as well. What is the subject you are learning in class about now?

Simon Bridge said:
... if the glass end was not under water, it would just fall off.
Why? What is it about being under water that holds the glass plate in place?
(As ehild points out: think - hydrostatic pressure... you'll see you are told a lot about the forces on the plate.)

This question does not come just out of the blue: you have been doing some coursework as well. What is the subject you are learning in class about now?

I understood it now. I mistook some information given by the book. I wasn't able to see the difference on p and greek letter ro. I understand now that there is pressure or force affecting the whole glass cylinder, both from the water on the glass cylinder and the ethanol on the glass cylinder.

Related to When does the plate of glass loosen from a glass cylinder in water?

1. Why does the plate of glass loosen from the glass cylinder in water?

The plate of glass loosens from the glass cylinder in water due to the principle of buoyancy. When an object is submerged in water, it experiences an upward force known as buoyant force. This buoyant force is greater than the weight of the object, causing it to rise to the surface of the water.

2. What causes the plate of glass to stay attached to the glass cylinder in water?

The plate of glass stays attached to the glass cylinder in water due to surface tension. When the glass is submerged in water, the water molecules at the surface form a cohesive force, creating surface tension. This tension acts as a bond between the plate of glass and the glass cylinder, keeping them attached.

3. Will the plate of glass eventually detach from the glass cylinder in water?

Yes, the plate of glass will eventually detach from the glass cylinder in water. This is because as the glass is submerged for a longer period of time, the surface tension between the glass and water decreases, weakening the bond. Additionally, as the buoyant force continues to act on the glass, it will eventually overcome the surface tension and cause the glass to detach.

4. Can the plate of glass be made to stay attached to the glass cylinder in water?

Yes, the plate of glass can be made to stay attached to the glass cylinder in water by increasing the surface tension between the glass and water. This can be achieved by adding substances such as soap or detergent to the water, which can increase the surface tension and strengthen the bond between the glass and water.

5. What variables can affect the timing of the plate of glass detaching from the glass cylinder in water?

There are several variables that can affect the timing of the plate of glass detaching from the glass cylinder in water. These include the surface tension of the water, the weight and size of the glass, and the depth and temperature of the water. Additionally, any substances added to the water, such as soap or detergent, can also affect the timing of the detachment.