Hydrazine combustion in space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of hydrazine monopropellant thrusters in two satellites and how the reaction is induced. The asker wonders if reducing pressure is similar to reducing heat and how adding heat through iridium heating beds speeds up the reaction. After reviewing a chemistry text, they realize that the iridium acts as a catalyst to induce a decomposition reaction of hydrazine.
edtman
Hi,
I know this is a chemistry question but I was hoping there'd be a kind soul with a chemistry background whose willing to help!
The space research group I work for has 2 satellites which have hydrazine (N2H4) monopropellant thrusters. From what I understand the pressurized hydrazine is sprayed through ab iridium heating bed where it reacts and breaks down into ammonia and nitrogen. I am told that this reaction will occur without the iridium heating beds.
My question is what induces the reaction? My chemistry is rusty, but I know heat can cause chemical reactions, and the ideal gas law show that heat and pressure are proportional...so is reducing the pressure analogous to reducing heat? And if so why will adding heat to the system through iridium heat beds speed up the reaction? Is it common for chemicals under pressure to react when released in vacuum. Thanks for your time!

Ed

Astronomy news on Phys.org
To answer my own question...after reading what I wrote and reviewing the good-ol' chemistry text. First of all I meant combustion in the most liberal use of the word, since oxygen and burning is required for true combustion to occur.
What happens is the irridium acts as a catalyst to induce a decomposition reaction of hydrazine. By definition a catalyst changes the speed of a chemical reaction without under going a permanent change itself. And why did it take me so long to figure that out? Vacation make the grey (or is it gray?) matter go mush...

Related to Hydrazine combustion in space?

1. What is hydrazine and why is it used for combustion in space?

Hydrazine is a colorless and highly reactive chemical compound composed of nitrogen and hydrogen atoms. It is used for combustion in space because it is a highly efficient and stable propellant that produces a high amount of thrust.

2. How does hydrazine combustion work in space?

Hydrazine combustion in space involves the reaction of hydrazine with an oxidizer, usually nitrogen tetroxide, in a rocket engine. The heat generated from the reaction creates a high-pressure gas that is expelled out of the engine, providing thrust for the spacecraft.

3. What are the potential hazards of hydrazine combustion in space?

One of the main hazards of hydrazine combustion in space is its toxicity. Hydrazine can be harmful to humans if inhaled or ingested, and can also cause skin irritation. Another potential hazard is the possibility of explosions during storage or handling of hydrazine.

4. How is hydrazine combustion monitored and controlled in space missions?

Hydrazine combustion in space is closely monitored and controlled by the spacecraft's propulsion system. The amount of hydrazine and oxidizer mixture is carefully calculated and controlled to ensure optimal thrust and efficiency. Additionally, sensors and instruments are used to monitor the combustion process and make any necessary adjustments.

5. What are the benefits of using hydrazine for combustion in space?

There are several benefits of using hydrazine for combustion in space. It has a high energy density, meaning it can provide a lot of thrust with a small amount of fuel. It is also relatively stable and can be stored for long periods of time. Additionally, hydrazine combustion can be easily controlled and adjusted, making it a reliable choice for spacecraft propulsion.