Hydraulic design advise needed

In summary, if one cylinder is attached to a lever and the other is attached to a steering wheel, you don't want the steering wheel to have free reign and bully the lever. You could increase the diameter on the piston that you want to limit the movement in.
teatreetim
Hi,
I want to use a hydraulic cylinder to move another hydraulic cylinder but I don't want moving the 2nd cylinder to as easily move the 1st (doesnt have to be impossible, just harder). The system would be light duty and using large or heavy components wouldn't be appropriate. If there is some known circuit that can do this I would much appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please rephrase your question. I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.
If possible, post a sketch.

To rephrase:

Two hydraulic cylinders connected so that if one moves, the other moves. There is some type of flow control or clutch system so that one cylinder moves the other easily but vice versa more force is required. I hope that makes more sense.

Attachments

• cylinders1.gif
    cylinders1.gif
    4 KB · Views: 454
Do they need to be the same size?

Hi. No they could be different. I should have said work though rather than force, otherwise I'd just use mechanical leverage. If the first cylinder is attached to an operating lever and the second cylinder is attached to a steering wheel, I don't want the steering wheel to have free reign and bully the lever. Power assist is not practical (size/weight/power source) and I am worried flow actuators at the lever would let the steering wheel suddenly bully the lever when actuated.

I'm still not getting it. You say, "If the first cylinder is attached to an operating lever..." Do you mean that cylinder 1 is actuated by a lever, or when the cylinder is actuated it moves a lever? Similarly, is cylinder 2 actuated by a steering wheel, or is the movement of cylinder 2 turning the wheel?

Ignoring cylinder 2 for the moment, what function is cylinder 1 performing?
Ignoring cylinder 1, what function is cylinder 2 performing?

You could increase the diameter on the piston that you want to limit the movement in. The smaller one has to move a greater distance to move the larger. x movement in the large is 2x movement in the small and vice versa.

Is this what you wanted?

Related to Hydraulic design advise needed

1. What is hydraulic design and why is it important?

Hydraulic design is the process of designing and planning hydraulic systems, such as pipes and pumps, to efficiently transport and control fluids. It is important because it ensures the safe and reliable operation of various industries, such as water supply, irrigation, and energy production.

2. How do I determine the appropriate pipe size for my hydraulic system?

The appropriate pipe size for a hydraulic system can be determined by considering factors such as the flow rate, pressure, and type of fluid being transported. It is also important to account for any potential changes in these factors in the future.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in hydraulic design?

Some common mistakes to avoid in hydraulic design include not properly considering the flow rate and pressure requirements, not accounting for potential changes in the system, and not selecting the appropriate materials for the pipes and components.

4. What software or tools can I use for hydraulic design?

There are various software and tools available for hydraulic design, such as AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and FluidFlow. These programs can assist with creating detailed designs, simulating flow and pressure, and optimizing the system for efficiency.

5. Can I make changes to my hydraulic system design after it has been implemented?

Yes, it is possible to make changes to a hydraulic system design after it has been implemented. However, it may be more costly and time-consuming to make changes at this stage compared to during the design process. It is important to carefully plan and consider all factors before making any changes to a hydraulic system design.