Hw help, its been a while since last physics course

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for water-based life on other planets in our solar system. By considering the distance from the Sun, the size and albedo of a planet, and the rate at which a body radiates heat, it is possible to estimate the average temperature of a planet. Using the formula for energy in = energy out, it is possible to determine the average temperature at the Earth's surface and compare it to the actual value. Additionally, it is possible to determine the potential distance from the Sun for a planet the size of Earth to have a mean temperature above freezing or below boiling. The conversation also mentions the Stefan-Boltzmann constant and its role in calculating the rate of energy loss per unit area. Finally,
justinbaker
The Sun emits energy at a rate of about 3.9 · 1026W. At Earth, this sunshine gives
an incident energy flux Ie of about 1.4kWm−2. In this problem, you’ll investigate
whether any other planets in our solar systemcould support the sort of water-based
life we find on Earth.
Consider a planet orbiting at distance d from the Sun (and let de be Earth’s distance).
The Sun’s energy flux at distance d is I = Ie(de/d)2, because energy flux decreases
as the inverse square of distance. Call the planet’s radius R, and suppose that
it absorbs a fraction α of the incident sunlight, reflecting the rest back into space. The
planet intercepts a disk of sunlight of area πR2, so it absorbs a total power of πR2αI.
Earth’s radius is about 6400 km.
The Sun has been shining for a long time, but Earth’s temperature is roughly
stable: The planet is in a steady state. For this to happen, the absorbed solar energy
must get reradiated back to space as fast as it arrives (see Figure 1.2). Because the rate
at which a body radiates heat depends on its temperature, we can find the expected
mean temperature of the planet, using the formula
radiated heat flux = ασT4.

In this formula, σ denotes the number 5.7·10−8Wm−2 K−4 (the “Stefan–Boltzmann
constant”). The formula gives the rate of energy loss per unit area of the radiating
body (here, the Earth). You needn’t understand the derivation of this formula but
make sure you do understand how the units work.
a. Using this formula, work out the average temperature at the Earth’s surface and
compare your answer to the actual value of 289K.
b. Using the formula, work out how far from the Sun a planet the size of Earth may
be, as a multiple of de, and still have a mean temperature greater than freezing.
c. Using the formula, work out how close to the Sun a planet the size of Earth may
be, as a multiple of de, and still have a mean temperature below boiling.
d. Optional: If you know the planets’ orbital radii, which ones are then candidates
for water-based life, using this rather oversimplified criterion?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far on the question? Post your attempts, and we can help point you in the right direction.

for a.) i know i need to solve for T.

so is the radiated heat flux the same as incident energy flux Ie? If so then how do i solve for alpha, in the equation

total pwr absorbed = pi x R^2 x alpha x I

can anyone help me?

Does the problem really not give you a value for alpha (alpha is known as the "albedo")?

The equation for energy in = energy out is:

[itex] \pi r^2 \alpha I = \sigma A T^4 [/itex]

Note that α on the left hand side is the albedo, while A on the right hand side is the surface area of the planet. They are not the same.

Of these, you know pi, r, I, sigma, and A. You need to know alpha; too, then it's just a simple matter of solving for T.

- Warren

chroot said:
Does the problem really not give you a value for alpha (alpha is known as the "albedo")?

The equation for energy in = energy out is:

Note that α on the left hand side is the albedo, while A on the right hand side is the surface area of the planet. They are not the same.

Of these, you know pi, r, I, sigma, and A. You need to know alpha; too, then it's just a simple matter of solving for T.

- Warren

no it does not give a value for alpha, everything in the problem is in my orginal post.

i am still lost on the other ones as well

Well, if I were you, I'd just pick a value for alpha, say 0.5, and explicitly write your assumption on your paper.

Part b uses the same formula, using I = Ie(de/d)^2, T = 273 K (the freezing point of water), solved for d.

- Warren

chroot said:
Well, if I were you, I'd just pick a value for alpha, say 0.5, and explicitly write your assumption on your paper.

Part b uses the same formula, using I = Ie(de/d)^2, T = 273 K (the freezing point of water), solved for d.

- Warren

but how do i get from the alpha x sigma x T^4 equation to the equation I = Ie(de/d)^2?

The equation is the same for every problem in this set. Energy in = energy out:

where

[itex]I = I_e \left( \frac{d_e}{d} \right)^2[/itex]

Thus, the equation is, in full generality:

[itex] \pi r^2 \alpha I_e \left( \frac{d_e}{d} \right)^2 = \sigma A T^4 [/itex]

- Warren

Related to Hw help, its been a while since last physics course

1. How can I catch up on my physics coursework after a long break?

The best way to catch up on your physics coursework after a long break is to review your notes and textbooks, practice problems and equations, and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed. It may also be helpful to watch online tutorials or attend review sessions.

2. Will I be at a disadvantage if I haven't taken a physics course in a while?

It's natural to feel a bit rusty after a long break from physics, but it doesn't necessarily mean you will be at a disadvantage. Use this as an opportunity to review and refresh your knowledge, and seek help if needed. You may also find that your critical thinking and problem-solving skills have improved during your time away from the subject.

3. How can I stay motivated to catch up on my physics coursework?

Staying motivated can be a challenge, but setting small goals and breaking up your coursework into manageable chunks can help. You can also try studying with a friend or joining a study group to keep yourself accountable and motivated. Remember to take breaks and reward yourself for your progress.

4. Is it possible to catch up on a whole semester's worth of physics coursework?

While it may seem daunting, catching up on a whole semester's worth of physics coursework is definitely possible with dedication and hard work. Prioritize your studying and focus on the most important concepts and topics. Seek help if needed and don't be afraid to ask for extensions or extra credit opportunities.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics after being away from the subject?

The best way to improve your understanding of physics after a break is to actively engage with the material. This can include practicing problems and equations, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, and participating in class discussions. You may also find it helpful to relate the concepts to real-world examples and applications.