Star Observation Calculation Homework

In summary, the Sun's radiation has an intensity of 1380 Wm-2 at Earth's distance of 1.5x1011m. Earth absorbs this energy and radiates its own energy back into space. To determine the amount of energy per second falling on Earth's surface, the equation P = 1380 x 4pi x (1.5x1011)2 can be used. To find the temperature needed for Earth's surface to radiate this much energy back into space, the equation T = fourth root of P / 4pi x r2 x o can be used. The actual average surface temperature of Earth is slightly higher due to factors such as global warming and the greenhouse effect. For
evergreengiant

Homework Statement

The intensity of the Sun's radiation is about 1380 Wm-2 at Earth's distance, 1.5x1011m. Earth absorbs this radiation as a black body, and radiates its own energy back into space.

a) How much Energy per second falls on the Earth's surface? (Diameter of Earth = 12800km)
b) What temperature would Earth's surface need to be to radiate this much energy back into space (i.e equilibrium)
c) Why is Earth's actual average surface temperature a bit higher than this
d) Ceres, the largest asteroid, orbits around 4.1 x1011m from the sun:
(i) What would be the Sun's intensity on Ceres
(ii) Find the average temperature of its surface.

Homework Equations

P=AoT4 where o = 5.6697x10-8Js-1m-2 K-4
I = P / 4 x pi x D2 where D is the distance from the star

The Attempt at a Solution

a) P = 1380 x 4pi x (1.5x1011)2
don't think this is right...
b) T = fourth root of P / 4pi x r2 x o
c) global warming?? greenhouse effect??
d) (i) Just use the ratio of Earth's distance : Ceres' distance, plug in the intensity
(ii) Don't even know where to start, considering we don't have the radius...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I agree with you in the first question since energy/sec is just watt, so assuming the sun shine on the whole Earth Pon earth = P*A
Also does agree with 2, it's a straighforward application of stephan's law,
Because It doesn't radiate all the energy that it absorbs due to something, maybe global warming and a small contribution go to heat the Earth's surface
And repeat the same scénario to answer the last two, good luck !

Last edited:
Noctisdark said:
Hi,
I agree with you in the first question since energy/sec is just watt, so assuming the sun shine on the whole Earth Pon earth = P*A
Also does agree with 2, it's a straighforward application of stephan's law,
Because It doesn't radiate all the energy that it absorbs and a small contribution go to heat the Earth's surface
And repeat the same scénario to answer the last two, good luck !
Hey there, My attempt at question 1 and 2 must be incorrect as I come out with a Power of 3.9x1026, and therefore a surface temperature of over 1million Kelvin which just isn't right? HELP!

No idea, we have no radius of ceres, maybe google it ?
Just to correct one thing 1380 is the sun intensity at earth, so I = 1380, calculate P (You've done that), assume that R being the radius of ceres and for it to radiate back that energy into space then P = 4πR2*σ*T4, and solve for T

Related to Star Observation Calculation Homework

1. What is star observation calculation homework?

Star observation calculation homework is a type of assignment that involves using mathematical equations and data to analyze and interpret observations of stars. It is commonly assigned in astronomy or physics courses.

2. How do I calculate the distance between two stars?

To calculate the distance between two stars, you will need to use the parallax method. This involves measuring the angle between the two stars from two different points on Earth, and using trigonometry to calculate the distance. Alternatively, you can use the brightness or luminosity of the stars to estimate their distance.

3. What types of data are needed for star observation calculation homework?

The data needed for star observation calculation homework varies, but it typically includes measurements of the star's position, brightness, and spectral characteristics. This data can be obtained from telescopes, space missions, or astronomical databases.

4. What are some common mathematical equations used in star observation calculation?

Some common mathematical equations used in star observation calculation include the parallax equation, the inverse square law for brightness, and equations for determining the luminosity and temperature of a star. These equations are based on fundamental principles of physics and can be found in most astronomy textbooks.

5. How can I check my calculations for star observation homework?

The best way to check your calculations for star observation homework is to compare your results with existing data or calculations from reputable sources. You can also ask a classmate or teacher to review your work and provide feedback. Additionally, double-checking your calculations and using multiple methods to verify your results can help ensure accuracy.