Hubble Constant and Age of the Universe

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Hubble constant for a hypothetical 10,000 year old universe and compares it with the currently accepted value. The equation 1/Ho is used to approximate the age of the universe, but the individual is unsure how to reverse the equation. They then attempt to find a value for H0 and discuss the implications of such a large value, including the fact that objects within several light years are not observed to be flying away. The conversation also touches on the mainstream view of the relationship between age and the Hubble constant.
dstar288
I wasn't sure whether or not to post this in the Astronomy section but as this is homework, I decided to post it here.

Homework Statement

Suppose the Universe was much younger, eg 10,000 yrs old. Find the Hubble constant for such a Universe. Compare with the currently accepted value. What would we observe if this value of Ho was correct?

Homework Equations

I know that we approximate the age of the universe using 1/Ho but I don't know how to reverse the equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I'm stumped. I was told elsewhere that the Hubble constant would be the same no matter what the age but I have a feeling that my professor wants real calculations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
What would be the approximate value of H0 for a 10,000 year old universe? Express the result in both km/s/Mpc and km/s/ly.

We have various methods of finding the distances to objects in space (the so-called "cosmic distance ladder"). With this new value of H0, what sort of recession velocities (red shifts) would we expect to see versus what is actually observed, especially for some relatively close-by objects that we can determine the distance to by various means?

Ok, so I've tried the equation by putting the years into seconds:
10000 years = 3.1 x 10ˆ11 s, 3.1 x 10ˆ11 = (3.1 x 10^19)/Ho. This gives me a constant of 1 x 10ˆ8 which seems far too large.

So about 1 x 108 km/s/Mpc ? In what way is that too large? In other words, if the value of H0 were that large, what things should we observe that clearly we don't see?

Expressed as km/s/ly instead, the value becomes about 30. We can see a lot of objects within several light years of us, and they don't seem to be flying away. In fact, the Milky Way galaxy is several hundred thousand light years across and it is gravitationally bound (not flying apart), and we are part of a local cluster of galaxies that is much greater in size and it's also gravitationally bound (not flying apart).

Ok, so that value would be correct? Sorry, I'm still confused. Would the 30 value be in megalightyears, not regular lightyears?

km/s/ly

I'm adding here because I looked this up before posting, and found this comment here; "we approximate the age of the universe using 1/Ho."

Over my few decades of thinking, I developed my own view of the Universe and came to the conclusion that Age=1/Hubble. I then noted Hubble was, indeed, a s^-1 term, and that reducing it down did indeed give a reasonable value.

Some years ago I asked a science journalist about my theory, backed up by that bit of data, and he said he'd never heard of it and it was 'just co-incidence'. I filed it in the back of the brain-box, and just now thought to look this up here.

So, my question; I have my way of coming to that conclusion, but how does 'the mainstream' come to the conclusion age=~1/Hubble?

Related to Hubble Constant and Age of the Universe

1. What is the Hubble Constant and how is it related to the age of the universe?

The Hubble Constant is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is represented by the symbol H and has units of kilometers per second per megaparsec (km/s/Mpc). The age of the universe can be calculated using the Hubble Constant and the current size of the universe. This relationship is known as the Hubble time, which gives an estimate of the age of the universe.

2. How is the Hubble Constant determined?

The Hubble Constant is determined through various observational techniques, such as measuring the distances and redshifts of galaxies. This information is then used to plot a graph known as the Hubble diagram, which shows the relationship between the distance of a galaxy and its redshift. The slope of this graph gives the value of the Hubble Constant.

3. What is the current accepted value for the Hubble Constant and age of the universe?

The current accepted value for the Hubble Constant is around 70 km/s/Mpc, with a margin of error of about 10%. This corresponds to an age of the universe of approximately 13.8 billion years. However, there is still ongoing debate and research to refine these values.

4. How has our understanding of the Hubble Constant and age of the universe changed over time?

Our understanding of the Hubble Constant and age of the universe has evolved over time as new observations and techniques have been developed. For example, the discovery of dark energy and its effects on the expansion of the universe has led to revisions in our understanding of the Hubble Constant and age of the universe.

5. What are the implications of the Hubble Constant and age of the universe for our understanding of the universe?

The Hubble Constant and age of the universe are important parameters in understanding the history and evolution of the universe. By studying these values, we can gain insights into the Big Bang theory, the formation of galaxies, and the fate of the universe. They also play a crucial role in cosmological models and theories about the origins of the universe.