Hubble breaks the distance record with a redshift of 11.1

In summary, the Hubble telescope has recently broken the distance record with a redshift measurement of 11.1, indicating the existence of a galaxy at a great distance. This raises questions about our current theories and the possibility of a limiting value for redshift. However, the redshift of the CMB, which is about 1000, is still the record for the measured redshift of a single object. More measurements are needed to further understand this discovery, and the upcoming JWST may provide more insight.
Space news on Phys.org
Tanelorn said:
Does this mean that some of theories need revision? We do not appear to reaching a limiting value!

Our current theories do not predict any "limiting value" for redshift. We have already measured a redshift much larger than 11.1: the redshift of the CMB, which is about 1000. This is just the record for the measured redshift of a single object.

[Btw, if you label a thread as "A", that implies that you have a graduate level understanding of the subject matter. This question is really a "B" question, and I have relabeled the thread accordingly.]

Thanks for replies guys.

I know the CMBR redshift is ~1000, but I was expecting to see a tangential limiting value for galaxy redshift at some point. I guess we need more measurements? Hopefully I will still be here to see the JWST measurements.

Btw I am a Physics Grad, just a very long time ago, specializing in Radio and Microwave Frequencies. Worked on Cyclotrons, Plasma Generators and 3G Transmitters mainly, for nearly 40 years.
But point taken, Cosmology was not a course I could take back then, even though it is one of the most interesting subjects for me now.

Last edited:

Related to Hubble breaks the distance record with a redshift of 11.1

What is Hubble's redshift of 11.1?

Hubble's redshift of 11.1 refers to the measurement of the redshift of a distant galaxy, GN-z11, by the Hubble Space Telescope. This measurement indicates that GN-z11 is moving away from us at a very high speed, as the light emitted from the galaxy has been stretched to longer, redder wavelengths due to the expansion of the universe.

Why is Hubble's redshift of 11.1 significant?

Hubble's redshift of 11.1 is significant because it marks the furthest distance that has ever been observed and measured in the universe. This distance corresponds to a time when the universe was only about 400 million years old, providing valuable insights into the early stages of the universe's evolution.

How was Hubble's redshift of 11.1 measured?

Hubble's redshift of 11.1 was measured using the Hubble Space Telescope's Wide Field Camera 3, which is equipped with a near-infrared spectrograph. This instrument allows scientists to measure the wavelengths of light emitted by distant objects and determine their redshift.

What does Hubble's redshift of 11.1 tell us about the universe?

Hubble's redshift of 11.1 tells us that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, as the light from GN-z11 has been stretched to longer, redder wavelengths. It also provides evidence for the Big Bang theory, as the high redshift indicates that GN-z11 is located at a great distance and therefore existed at a very early stage of the universe.

Will Hubble's redshift record be broken in the future?

It is possible that Hubble's redshift record will be broken in the future as technology and observational techniques continue to improve. However, it will likely require a more advanced and powerful telescope, such as the upcoming James Webb Space Telescope, to achieve such a feat.