HS AP Chem question - mass % of each compound in a sample

In summary: So, if your answer to this question is close to but not exactly what the question asks for, be sure to round off your answer to the nearest significant figure.
altay
I am new to AP Chem and given a problem that I cannot begin to figure out how to compute. None of my calculations come up with the correct answer. How do I work through this?

PROBLEM: A sample containing NACl, SA2S04 and NAN03 (the number are sub), gives the following elemental analysis: NA: 32.08%; O: 36.01%; Cl: 19.51%. Calculate the mass percent of each compound in the sample?

How do I do this. My calculations are not coming out. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Unless you show us what effort you've made we can't help you. Please read the posting guidelines. We need to first see what thoughts or ideas you have.

2. What is "SA2SO4" (there's no such compound) ?

3. Henceforth, please post similar questions under the Homework & Coursework subforum.

Challengenging

Sorry, not sure where to post everything. First time on site as user.

#2 should be NA2SO4

What I have done!

Cl: 12.42% 12.41/19.51 = 1.56 cl: 8.05 (8.051/8.02 = 1.00)
NACl - 58.14g
T=20.47%
A=32.14% NOTE This answer is supposed tobe32.17%

Na: 16.11% O=22.42 Na2SO4 = 142.05g
32.14+20.50=52.72 T=49.76%
A=20.58 45.69

0 .5.83 NaNO3 =.05 g
Na ? T 29.77%
A 15.45 27.39

Na 4/32.08% = 8.02%
O= 7/36.01% = 5.14%
Cl= 19.51%

S=x
N=y
TOTAL of S & N = 12.04

Total of all =100%

How do I figure out the mass percent of the sample?

Help: altay

1) Welcome to PF :smile:

2) Generally, you would post such questions here. Also, you can sometimes ask PF moderators/admins to 'move' your thread to a more appropriate forum.

3) Your question can easily be solved via a system of linear equations, (although I'm not sure if that's what the AP Chemistry Exam prefers...). Letting mX denote numerically the molar mass of the element 'X', the relative quantities of moles NaCl (x), Na2SO4 (y), NaNO3 (z) can be calculated as the solution to

[tex]\begin{gathered}
m_{{\text{Na}}} \left( {x + 2y + z} \right) = 32.08 \hfill \\
m_{\text{O}} \left( {4y + 3z} \right) = 36.01 \hfill \\
m_{{\text{Cl}}} x = 19.51 \hfill \\
\end{gathered} [/tex]

Note that we can substitute x=19.51/mCl into the 2nd and 3rd equations,
and also (for convenience) rewrite them as:
[tex]\begin{gathered}
2y + z = 32.08m_{{\text{Na}}}^{ - 1} - 19.51m_{{\text{Cl}}}^{ - 1} \hfill \\ 4y + 3z = 36.01m_{{\text{O}}}^{ - 1} \hfill \\
\end{gathered} [/tex]

Elimination (of these two equations) will allow us to immediately solve for both y and z, as
[tex]\begin{gathered}
y = \frac{{3\left( {32.08m_{{\text{Na}}}^{ - 1} - 19.51m_{{\text{Cl}}}^{ - 1} } \right) - 36.01m_{\text{O}}^{ - 1} }}
{{\text{2}}} \hfill \\
z = 36.01m_{\text{O}}^{ - 1} - 2\left( {32.08m_{{\text{Na}}}^{ - 1} - 19.51m_{{\text{Cl}}}^{ - 1} } \right) \hfill \\
\end{gathered} [/tex]

"Plugging in" the molar masses values for Na, O, and Cl, we find that
x=0.5504
y=0.1414
z=0.5618

To find the mass percents of NaCl, Na2SO4, and NaNO3, simply multiply the molar masses
of each compound by the relative molar quantities of each compound. Thus,

*Mass percent NaCl = 0.5504(58.44) = 32.17%
*Mass percent Na2SO4 = 0.1414(142.0) = 20.08%
*Mass percent NaNO3 = 0.5618(84.99) = 47.75%
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: You can check your answers for (x,y,z) on a graphing calculator via solving the
(augmented) matrix:
[tex]\left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
\hfill 1 & \hfill 2 & \hfill 1 & \hfill {\text{1.395}}} \\
\hfill 0 & \hfill 4 & \hfill 3 & \hfill {2.251} \\
\hfill 1 & \hfill 0 & \hfill 0 & \hfill {0.5504} \\
\end{array} } \right] [/tex]

IIRC, the AP Chemistry Exam allows graphing calculators on the free response section, so you should have no trouble with these types of questions.

However, remember that graphing calculators do not usually consider significant figures when solving matrices.

Last edited:

Related to HS AP Chem question - mass % of each compound in a sample

1. What is the definition of mass percent?

Mass percent is a measure of the percentage of a compound's mass that is contributed by a specific element or group of elements in a given sample.

2. How do you calculate mass percent?

The mass percent of a compound can be calculated by dividing the mass of the element or group of elements in the compound by the total mass of the compound, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.

3. Why is mass percent important in chemistry?

Mass percent is important in chemistry because it provides a way to quantify the composition of a compound and determine the amount of a specific element present in a sample. It is also used in various calculations and experiments, such as determining the empirical and molecular formulas of compounds.

4. What is the difference between mass percent and molar mass?

Mass percent and molar mass are two different ways of expressing the composition of a compound. Mass percent is the percentage by mass of a specific element in a compound, while molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance. Mass percent is a relative measure, while molar mass is an absolute measure of a compound's mass.

5. How is mass percent used in analytical chemistry?

In analytical chemistry, mass percent is used to determine the purity of a compound by comparing the calculated mass percent to the expected mass percent. It is also used in quantitative analysis to determine the concentration of a specific element or group of elements in a sample.