1997 Ap Chem Free Response #9 Help

In summary, a student is seeking help with a chemistry problem involving determining the mass percent of sulfate in an unknown soluble sulfate salt. They have access to various equipment and a BaCl2 solution, but are unsure about the procedure and necessary calculations. They also question whether MgCl2 can be used as a substitute for BaCl2. Another student offers some advice and suggests checking a handbook or textbook for solubility rules.
djdevine19
Hey, I have a worksheet due tomorrow for my chem class and it includes #9 from the 1997 FR AP Chem Test. I can't figure it out! Any help would be appreciated!
Here goes:
An experiment is to be performed to determine the mass percent of sulfate in an unknown soluble sulfate salt. The equiptment available is: a scale, a funnel, a grad cylinder, a ringstand, a beaker, a stirring rod .20 M BaCl2, Unknown sulfate salt, and a drying oven.
a) Explain a procedure to carry this out.
b) What experimental data needs to be collected to calculate the mass percent of sulfate in the unknown
c) List the calculations necessary to determine the mass percent of sulfate in the unknown
d) Would .2 M MgCl2 be an acceptable subsitsute for the BaCl2 solution provided for this experiment? Explain.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
even if you can't figure it all out, give it a try and tell us what you think is needed here and we'll help you along

dude, do you think i didn't TRY to do the problem? that's why I'm asking the question... because i can't do it. If i could then I wouldn't need your help...

Last edited:
djdevine19 said:
dude, do you think i didn't TRY to do the problem? that's why I'm asking the question... because i can't do it. If i could then I wouldn't need your help...

calm down, just make a guess atleast what you should do. then we can look at your work and make corrections. So, show us an attempt, doesn't have to be a correct one. I know you really want a solution, but I promise you, you will remember this problem better and have a better understanding of the nature of its inner workings if you attempt to work it out whether or not it is correct and have us look at it and give you hints and suggestions or corrections.

Last edited:
djdevine19 said:
An experiment is to be performed to determine the mass percent of sulfate in an unknown soluble sulfate salt. The equiptment available is: a scale, a funnel, a grad cylinder, a ringstand, a beaker, a stirring rod .20 M BaCl2, Unknown sulfate salt, and a drying oven.
a) Explain a procedure to carry this out.
b) What experimental data needs to be collected to calculate the mass percent of sulfate in the unknown
c) List the calculations necessary to determine the mass percent of sulfate in the unknown
d) Would .2 M MgCl2 be an acceptable subsitsute for the BaCl2 solution provided for this experiment? Explain.

Thanks!

You need to know that SO4(-2) + BaCl2 ==> BaSO4 + 2Cl(-2)
and that Barium Sulfate is insoluble, therefore is a precipitate.

I'm not sure about the solubility of MgSO4. Check a handbook or solubility rules in your textbook.

Thanks man!

just trying to follow the rules...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94384

Related to 1997 Ap Chem Free Response #9 Help

1. What is the purpose of the 1997 Ap Chem Free Response #9?

The 1997 Ap Chem Free Response #9 is a test question designed to evaluate students' understanding of thermodynamics and chemical equilibrium.

2. What topics are covered in the 1997 Ap Chem Free Response #9?

The 1997 Ap Chem Free Response #9 covers topics such as enthalpy, entropy, Gibbs free energy, and equilibrium constants.

3. How should I approach solving the 1997 Ap Chem Free Response #9?

First, carefully read and understand the question. Then, make a plan for solving the problem, including identifying the known and unknown variables. Finally, use relevant equations and concepts to solve for the unknown variable.

4. Can I use a calculator for the 1997 Ap Chem Free Response #9?

Yes, you can use a calculator for the 1997 Ap Chem Free Response #9. However, be sure to show all of your work and clearly label any calculations you make with the calculator.

5. Are there any specific strategies for approaching the 1997 Ap Chem Free Response #9?

One strategy for approaching the 1997 Ap Chem Free Response #9 is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Additionally, it is important to clearly and logically explain your thought process and reasoning in your response.