Hp vs rpm to displacement vs time graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school student's attempt to compare two motorcycles on a displacement vs time graph. The student has gathered information on the mass of riders, mass of bikes, gear ratios, tyre circumference, and dyno results. They have created an acceleration vs velocity graph for each gear and are looking for a way to relate this to a displacement vs time graph. The student also mentions using 1/10 second intervals and starting at an initial speed of 0m/s.
Drillbit
Hello, I am a high school student trying to compare two motorcycles on a displacement vs time graph.

The information I have is the mass of riders, mass of bikes, gear ratios, tyre circumference and dyno results indicating hp vs rpm. I am not taking air/rolling resistance into consideration and the run should start in first gear and use optimal shift points.

What I've done so far is to create a acceleration(derived from hp, mass, gear ratio and tyre circumference) vs velocity(derived from rpm, gear ratio and tyre circumference) graph of the bikes for each gear. Plotted on one graph this shows me the optimal shift points(the points where the graphs overlap). I can also create a displacement vs velocity graph but can't think of how to relate this to a displacement vs time graph? General instructions will be much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Take 1/10 second intervals.

The initial speed is 0m/s.

You need to figure out the acceleration rate at each 1/10 second interval, then add it's contribution to the velocity at the previous point.

Related to Hp vs rpm to displacement vs time graph?

1. What does the hp vs rpm graph represent?

The hp (horsepower) vs rpm (revolutions per minute) graph shows the relationship between the engine's power output and its rotational speed. It is a measure of how much power the engine is capable of producing at various rpm values.

2. How is displacement related to the hp vs rpm graph?

Displacement is not directly related to the hp vs rpm graph. However, the engine's displacement can affect the shape of the graph by influencing the engine's power output at different rpm values. Generally, a larger displacement engine will produce more power at lower rpm values compared to a smaller displacement engine.

3. What factors affect the shape of the hp vs rpm graph?

The shape of the hp vs rpm graph can be affected by various factors such as the engine's design, size, and type, as well as the fuel type and air intake. Other factors include the camshaft profile, compression ratio, and exhaust system design. These factors can all influence the engine's power output at different rpm values.

4. How does the hp vs rpm graph differ for different types of engines?

The hp vs rpm graph can vary significantly for different types of engines. For example, a diesel engine will typically have a flatter curve, with a higher torque output at lower rpm values compared to a gasoline engine. Similarly, a turbocharged engine will have a different shape compared to a naturally aspirated engine, with a higher peak power output at higher rpm values.

5. How can the hp vs rpm graph be used to determine an engine's performance?

The hp vs rpm graph is a useful tool for evaluating an engine's performance. By analyzing the shape of the graph, one can determine the engine's power output at different rpm values, as well as its torque output. This information can be used to compare different engines and assess their overall performance and efficiency.