How would you Solve this Integral not using a Table

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving an integral without using a table and one person's attempt at solving it. They also mention using Latex for future questions.
Storm Butler

Homework Statement

I have to figure out how to solve this integral without a table : int((2r/sqrt(r^2-s^2))*(1/2)*(R-r)^2),x,s,R) where R and s are constant parameters in the function.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far i have tried breaking the function up and i got the indefinite integral down to : ∫(rR^2)/(√(r^2-S^2) ⅆr-∫(Rr^2)/√(r^2-S^2 ) ⅆr+∫r^3/√(r^2-S^2 ) ⅆr
so far i have been able to solve the integral with the R^2 term and the r^3 term (if anyone is curious on how i did this i will post my work but until then ill just leave it out) but i can't figure out how to do the middle one: ∫(Rr^2)/√(r^2-S^2 ) ⅆr without using the table i simply don't even know where to begin.

Can someone help me please, and or if you know an easier way to do the original integral it would help me a lot. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
storm, i can't understand your integral. would be nice if you can use latex or post some
pic

Newton

I actually just figured out how to do it however, in the future if i post another question how do i use latex?

Click on Go Advanced (just below this message box). I really wish there was an easier way to tex. (Or maybe there is and I don't know about it?)

Storm Butler said:
I actually just figured out how to do it however, in the future if i post another question how do i use latex?

Sourabh N said:
Click on Go Advanced (just below this message box). I really wish there was an easier way to tex. (Or maybe there is and I don't know about it?)

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386951

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!

Related to How would you Solve this Integral not using a Table

1. How do I solve an integral without using a table?

To solve an integral without using a table, you can use different integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric identities, and partial fractions. These techniques allow you to manipulate the integral into a form that you can easily solve.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve the integral without a table?

While you can use a calculator to evaluate the integral, it is still important to understand the different integration techniques and how to apply them. Relying solely on a calculator may not always give you the most accurate or efficient solution.

3. How do I know which integration technique to use?

Determining which integration technique to use depends on the form of the integral. For example, if the integral contains a radical, substitution may be the best technique to use. If the integral contains a product of functions, integration by parts may be more suitable.

4. Is it possible to solve any integral without using a table?

Yes, it is possible to solve any integral without using a table. However, some integrals may be more difficult to solve and may require more complex integration techniques.

5. How do I check if my solution to the integral is correct?

You can check if your solution to the integral is correct by taking the derivative of the solution and seeing if it matches the original integrand. You can also use online tools or calculators to verify your solution.