How would I solve a DiffEq of the form

In summary, this DE describes a phenomenon where the amplitude and frequency of a particle system changes over time due to a transition. The equation is non-linear and can only be solved using an approximation.
K.J.Healey
[tex]
\frac{dn(t)}{dt} = A sin(B*n(t)*t) n(t)
[/tex]

Or a more general
[tex]
\frac{dn(t)}{dt} = F(n(t)) n(t)
[/tex]

I'm not even sure what method I could use, or what it would be called.

A first order, non-linear equation?

Maybe it looks neater as:
[tex]
\frac{dn}{dt}=A n Sin(n t)
[/tex]EDIT : This isn't homework. I'm just looking for insight.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is extremely non-linear because the dependent function, u(t), occurs inside the non-linear function cosine. The fact that you then have that function multiplied by u(t) just makes it worse.

There are no general methods to solve non-linear equations or even any special classes of non-linear equations. (You can sometimes use "quadrature" for equations where the independent variable does not appear explicitly but they typically result in an integration that cannot be done in closed form.)

Hi, K.J.Healey!

Where did you get this equation from? I mean, does it describe a certain physical system, or you 'invented' it by yourself?

It comes from solving a large particle system decay rate due to (B=2) transition (oscillation) and subsequent annhilation. Its actually already a first term of an expansion on a much much more difficult equation. The potential splitting the energies of the particle-antiparticle is a function of the density of the system, which itself is a function of time.

That's where the amplitude's, as well as the frequency's, dependence one the density of states "n" comes into play. Usually the method is to take for small times "t" and just do an approx, or for t>>0 and do a sin^2 -> (1/2). But unfortunately I cannot. I have no explicit time-dependent extremes with which to expand about, so I need a complete solution.

Perhaps I can do this numerically...

Does the * denote convolution? I was thinking either Fourier or Laplace transform, but I can't come up with the transform for the RHS.

No, it was merely for a multiplication, because it looked really messy in tex (squshed everything together:
[tex]
\frac{dn(t)}{dt} = A Sin(B n(t) t) n(t)
[/tex]

hard to read.

This DE is pretty intense

It's not possible to solve, the reason is that inside the sine function there is the function n itself and the independent variable t. There is no way to separate them and the only way to solve this is using taylor polynomials with an approximation. The first degree approximation is only valid if the product nt is very small and leads to,
[tex]\frac{dn}{dt}\approx ABn^2t[/tex].
Divide by [itex]n^2[/tex] and multiply by [itex]dt[/itex] and then integrate and use algebra to get [itex]n=n(t)[/itex].

Hope that helps, a little.

Related to How would I solve a DiffEq of the form

1. How would I solve a DiffEq of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0?

The most common method for solving this type of differential equation is by using the quadratic formula. This formula is given by x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. By plugging in the values for a, b, and c, you can solve for the two possible values of x.

2. What is the general procedure for solving a differential equation?

The general procedure for solving a differential equation involves isolating the derivative term, integrating both sides, and solving for the constant of integration. Depending on the type and complexity of the differential equation, additional steps may be required.

3. Can I use a computer program to solve a differential equation?

Yes, there are many computer programs and software packages available that can solve differential equations numerically. However, it is still important to understand the steps and methods involved in solving a differential equation by hand.

4. Is it possible to have multiple solutions for a differential equation?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple solutions for a differential equation. In fact, some differential equations may have an infinite number of solutions. It is important to check the initial conditions to determine the specific solution that satisfies the given conditions.

5. What is the significance of initial conditions in solving a differential equation?

Initial conditions are values given at a specific point in time or space that are used to determine the particular solution to a differential equation. These conditions help to narrow down the infinite number of possible solutions and provide a specific solution that satisfies the given conditions.