How would I integrate -y'/(y-3)y?

• Thread starter vanceEE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary: If you exponentiate both sides of$$\frac{y - 3}{y} = \frac{1}{e^{3(2x + C)}}$$you get$$e^{\frac{y - 3}{y}} = e^{\frac{1}{e^{3(2x + C)}}}$$The right side is the same as ##e^{\frac{1}{e^{6x + C'}}}##. The left side is not the same as ##e^{\frac{y - 3}{y}}##.
vanceEE
how would I integrate -y'/(y-3)y??

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to integrate that w.r.t. x(which I think is the case),I should say you can't do it. That should be a differential equation but if you don't specify what is it equal to,then its not even a differential equation and you can do nothing with it.For example you may say -y'/(y-3)y=y'' or any other thing and then you should go for finding a method for solving it.

Shyan said:
If you want to integrate that w.r.t. x(which I think is the case),I should say you can't do it. That should be a differential equation but if you don't specify what is it equal to,then its not even a differential equation and you can do nothing with it.For example you may say -y'/(y-3)y=y'' or any other thing and then you should go for finding a method for solving it.
Sorry, the diff. eq is dy/dx = y(3-y) maybe that will help!

Oh...well...that isn't very hard.
You can multiply by dx and divide by y(3-y) to have in rhs and lhs,integrals w.r.t. x and y.Then complete the square in the denominator of the y integral and then set the square part of it equal to sin(t) for a change of variable which solves the differential equation!

Please show, on wolframathematica It is giving my a general logarithmic solution. Can I use the arctan formula for integrals? I am here now:
y'/[(3/2)^2-(y-(3/2))^2] = 1

A different approach than the one Shyan gave is to use partial fraction decomposition to break up the left side.

You have
##\frac{dy}{y(3 - y)} = dx##

You can write the left side as [A/y + B/(3 - y)]dy and then integrate that with respect to y.

Likes 1 person
I vote for Mark's solution!
And that's the one giving you the logarithmic answer.

Likes 1 person
Mark44 said:
A different approach than the one Shyan gave is to use partial fraction decomposition to break up the left side.

You have
##\frac{dy}{y(3 - y)} = dx##

You can write the left side as [A/y + B/(3 - y)]dy and then integrate that with respect to y.

Hi Mark!
I think I've got it, I just have one quick question.
$$\frac{1}{3}∫ (\frac{dy}{y-3}-\frac{dy}{y}) = ∫ 2 dx → -\frac{1}{3} ln |3-y| + \frac{1}{3} ln |y| = 2x + C $$
why does the 3 and the y switch places? When solving for y at the end, I get $$\frac{-3e^{3(2x+C)}}{e^{3(2x+C)}-1}$$
unless the y and the 3 switch places in the natural log, which gives the correct answer of
$$ \frac{3e^{3(2x+C)}}{e^{3(2x+C)}+ 1} $$

**THE 3(2x+C) are exponents
why do we change y-3 to 3-y??

Last edited by a moderator:
And btw, the diff eq was actually y' = 2y(3-y)

When I did the partial fractions business, I got this:
$$ \frac{1}{y(3 - y)} = \frac{1/3}{y} + \frac{1/3}{3 - y}$$
The last fraction is the same as -(1/3)/(y - 3). If you integrate, you get 1/3 [ ln|y| - ln|y - 3|] = 1/3 * ln[|y/(y - 3)|]. Notice that |3 - y| = |y - 3|.

The factor of 2 that you show in the original differential equation will change dx to 2dx, so the integral of the right side changes from x + C to 2x + C.

Mark44 said:
When I did the partial fractions business, I got this:
$$ \frac{1}{y(3 - y)} = \frac{1/3}{y} + \frac{1/3}{3 - y}$$
The last fraction is the same as -(1/3)/(y - 3). If you integrate, you get 1/3 [ ln|y| - ln|y - 3|] = 1/3 * ln[|y/(y - 3)|]. Notice that |3 - y| = |y - 3|.

The factor of 2 that you show in the original differential equation will change dx to 2dx, so the integral of the right side changes from x + C to 2x + C.
So when taking the base e of both sides, must I change |y-3| to |3-y|? Switching these signs gives me different answers when solving for y, are they both considered correct?

I think that you might have made a mistake when you exponentiated both sides (what you referred to as "taking the base e of both sides").

After I integrate, I get 1/3 * [ln|y| - ln|y - 3|] = 2x + C, or [ln|y| - ln|y - 3|] = 6x + C'. That's the same as ln[|y|/|y - 3|] = 6x + C'.

Without an initial condition, you can't get rid of the absolute values. Is there an initial condition that you haven't shown us?
Since

Mark44 said:
I think that you might have made a mistake when you exponentiated both sides (what you referred to as "taking the base e of both sides").

After I integrate, I get 1/3 * [ln|y| - ln|y - 3|] = 2x + C, or [ln|y| - ln|y - 3|] = 6x + C'. That's the same as ln[|y|/|y - 3|] = 6x + C'.

Without an initial condition, you can't get rid of the absolute values. Is there an initial condition that you haven't shown us?
Since

The initial DE is $$\frac{dy}{dx} = 2y(y-3)$$
After integrating I get
$$-ln|y-3|+ln|y| = 3(2x+C)$$
then after exponentiation I get..
$$\frac{y}{y-3} = e^(3(2x+C)) $$
$$\frac{y-3}{y} = \frac{1}{e^(3(2x+C))} $$
$$-\frac{3}{y} = \frac{1}{e^(3(2x+C))} -1$$
$$-\frac{3}{y} = \frac{1-e^(3(2x+C))}{e^(3(2x+C))} $$
$$y = -\frac{3e^(3(2x+C))}{1-e^(3(2x+C))} $$

But, via. the link provided, the solution is $$\frac{3e^(3(2x+C))}{e^(3(2x+C))+1}$$
since $$|y-3|$$ was changed to $$|3-y|$$
Are both solutions correct?
*the 3(2x+C)'s are exponents

vanceEE said:
The initial DE is $$\frac{dy}{dx} = 2y(y-3)$$
After integrating I get
$$-ln|y-3|+ln|y| = 3(2x+C)$$
then after exponentiation I get..
$$\frac{y}{y-3} = e^(3(2x+C)) $$
Two things:
1. Where did the absolute values go? As already mentioned, if there is an initial condition, you might be able to get rid of them, but you don't show an initial condition. Are you making an assumption that y(x) and y(x) - 3 are both positive?
2. In LaTeX, put exponents inside braces - {}.
The expression on the right side should be written as e^{3(2x+C)} to make it render correctly. Also, instead of writing 3(2x + C), you can write 6x + C', where C' = 2C.
Writing the right side as ##e^{6x + C'}## allows you to write it as e6x * eC' = Ae6x, where A = eC' = e2C.
vanceEE said:
$$\frac{y-3}{y} = \frac{1}{e^(3(2x+C))} $$
$$-\frac{3}{y} = \frac{1}{e^(3(2x+C))} -1$$
$$-\frac{3}{y} = \frac{1-e^(3(2x+C))}{e^(3(2x+C))} $$
$$y = -\frac{3e^(3(2x+C))}{1-e^(3(2x+C))} $$

But, via. the link provided, the solution is $$\frac{3e^(3(2x+C))}{e^(3(2x+C))+1}$$
since $$|y-3|$$ was changed to $$|3-y|$$
|y - 3| and |3 - y| are identically equal, so you can change one for the other. The bigger question is what happened to the absolute values in the first place?
vanceEE said:
Are both solutions correct?
You can check to see. If they both satisfy the differential equation, they're both correct.
vanceEE said:
*the 3(2x+C)'s are exponents

Mark44 said:
Two things:
1. Where did the absolute values go? As already mentioned, if there is an initial condition, you might be able to get rid of them, but you don't show an initial condition. Are you making an assumption that y(x) and y(x) - 3 are both positive?
The question says "Let f be a function with f(0)=1 such that all points (x, y) on the graph of f satisfy the logistic differential equation $$\frac{dy}{dx} = 2y(3-y).$$"

With f(x) = y, f(0) = y(0) = 1, and 3 - y(0) = 2. Both expressions are positive, and if we assume that x is close to 0, then both y(x) and 3 - y(x) will be positive.

This allows us to remove the absolute values.

y/(y - 3) = Ae6x
##\Rightarrow## (y - 3)/y = Be-6x

Use the initial condition (y(0) = 1) to solve for the constant B, and then solve for y in terms of x.

Related to How would I integrate -y'/(y-3)y?

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve or the reverse operation of differentiation. It is commonly used to solve problems involving rates of change, such as finding the velocity or displacement of an object.

2. How do you integrate a function?

To integrate a function, you need to follow certain rules and techniques, such as using integration by parts or substitution. The first step is to identify the function and determine which rule or technique will be most appropriate to use. Then, you can apply the chosen rule or technique to solve the integral.

3. Can -y'/(y-3)y be integrated?

Yes, this function can be integrated. Integration is possible for most functions, but the complexity of the integration process may vary. In this case, the function can be integrated using the substitution technique.

4. What is the substitution technique in integration?

The substitution technique in integration involves replacing a variable in the integral with a new variable to simplify the integral. This new variable is chosen to eliminate a complicated term in the integral and make the integration process easier. After substitution, the integral can be solved using the appropriate rules or techniques.

5. How would I integrate -y'/(y-3)y?

To integrate this function, you can use the substitution technique by letting u = y-3. Then, du = -dy and the integral becomes -1/u. This can be easily integrated to get ln(u) + C. Substituting back u = y-3, the final answer is ln(y-3) + C.