How would I calculate the work done by the gas molecules?

In summary, to calculate the work done by gas molecules, we can use the formula W=Px∆V, where W is work, P is pressure, and V is volume. In this case, the given volume is 1.7x10^-22m^3 and the pressure is 0.25 A t m (or 25331.25 Pascal). To get the work in joules, the pressure should be converted to SI units (pascal). After conversion, the work done by the gas molecules is approximately 4.25x10^-23 joules. It is important to note that the calculated volume change may be incorrect and should be double-checked.
spacealgae

Homework Statement

Hello, I just need help figuring out how to calculate the work done by the gas molecules for my physics homework :)
Formula given: W=Px∆V (W=work, P=pressure, and V=volume)
What I know: So my calculated volume is 1.7x10^-22m^3.
Pressure=0.25 A t m (atmospheric pressure)
I just need help figuring out how I would multiply the two together.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would I change 0.25 A t m to scientific notation? So it would be 2.5x10^-1, then if I multiplied it by 1.7x10^-22m^3 it would be 4.25x10^-23 Joules of work done?

Physics news on Phys.org
To get the work in joules, it is best to convert the pressure to SI units (pascal).

But I suspect you are wrong about the volume change.

Ok, so 0.25 A t m = 25331.25 Pascal, which is 2.533125x10^4 in scientific notation. Would I then just multiply the two together? And no, I did all my calculations correct, the volume change is 1.7x10^-22m^3, I even had another person on here help me achieve that answer.

Related to How would I calculate the work done by the gas molecules?

1. How do I calculate the work done by gas molecules?

In order to calculate the work done by gas molecules, you will need to use the formula W = PΔV, where W represents work, P represents pressure, and ΔV represents the change in volume of the gas. This formula is based on the fact that work is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance over which the force is applied.

2. What is the significance of calculating work done by gas molecules?

Calculating the work done by gas molecules is important in understanding the behavior and properties of gases. It can help in studying processes such as expansion, compression, and heat transfer in gas systems.

3. How do I determine the pressure and volume values needed for the calculation?

The pressure and volume values needed for the calculation can be obtained from experimental data or theoretical calculations. The pressure can be measured using a pressure gauge or calculated using the ideal gas law. The volume can be measured using a graduated cylinder or calculated using the ideal gas law.

4. Are there any other factors that need to be considered when calculating work done by gas molecules?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the calculation of work done by gas molecules. These include the temperature and type of gas, as well as any external forces acting on the gas system.

5. Can the work done by gas molecules be negative?

Yes, the work done by gas molecules can be negative. This occurs when the gas is compressed, and the volume decreases. In this case, the gas molecules are doing work on the surrounding environment, and the work done is considered negative.