How will this Buoyant-Wind/Helium Powered Kite fly in air?

In summary: What are your thoughts on using a generator on the ground?That sounds like a good idea. What are your thoughts on powering the kite with a generator?In summary,CWatters, the idea of using a wind turbine to power a kite is a good one, but make sure the turbine is not in the shadow of the kite. The aspect ratio of the kite is also important, and long narrow wings are better than short fat ones because they have a higher efficiency.
Primestar2017
I created a model on autodesk inventor of a concept model kite that would stay in high altitudes and take in wind energy through the cone opening. Is there any advice you can give me about the aerodynamics of this model? (There are balloons that provide lift above the wings, and I want the highest vertical lift from the wind)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 524
Engineering news on Phys.org
Primestar2017 said:
I created a model on autodesk inventor of a concept model kite that would stay in high altitudes and take in wind energy through the cone opening. Is there any advice you can give me about the aerodynamics of this model? (There are balloons that provide lift above the wings, and I want the highest vertical lift from the wind)
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Fun drawing, but I'm not following the aerodynamic themes. What do high-altitude kites look like already? What do wind energy harvesting kites look like now? Can you post some links to the reading you've done so far on this subject? I'm pretty sure that some wind energy harvesting kits are in development and in field trials now.

Also, why do you want to focus on high-altitude for this? Can you post some of your thoughts on the amount of wind energy that is available at different altitudes?

Some more things to think about...

Wind turbines extract energy from the wind slowing it down in the process. So it would be best not to put your kite in the wind shadow of the turbine mounted on it.

The efficiency of a wing is related to it's aspect ratio (= span/chord). This is why gliders and high altitude spy planes from the 1960s have long narrow wings rather than short fat ones.

Likes Primestar2017 and berkeman
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Fun drawing, but I'm not following the aerodynamic themes. What do high-altitude kites look like already? What do wind energy harvesting kites look like now? Can you post some links to the reading you've done so far on this subject? I'm pretty sure that some wind energy harvesting kits are in development and in field trials now.

Also, why do you want to focus on high-altitude for this? Can you post some of your thoughts on the amount of wind energy that is available at different altitudes?
I want to focus on a high-altitude because I read that at higher altitudes, there is a higher wind gradient that would produce more wind energy for my kite.

Here are a few pictures that show where my team got the inspiration for the kite.

Attachments

• i3_wind.jpg
    i3_wind.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 390
  • infographic_highaltitudewind.png
    infographic_highaltitudewind.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 475
CWatters said:
Some more things to think about...

Wind turbines extract energy from the wind slowing it down in the process. So it would be best not to put your kite in the wind shadow of the turbine mounted on it.

The efficiency of a wing is related to it's aspect ratio (= span/chord). This is why gliders and high altitude spy planes from the 1960s have long narrow wings rather than short fat ones.

Thank you for your input about putting our kite in the wind shadow of the turbines, CWatters. Can you give us any advice on where we should put the turbines instead?

In addition, we hope to have piezoelectric strips along the outer sides of the kite wings, and to have the skin on the top of the kite covered in flexible solar panels. What are your inputs on this?

Thank you.

I think you mean the wind speed not the wind gradient is greater the higher you go. It's the wind speed that matters. Wind gradients or wind shear can cause problems for large turbines.

I believe most kite systems use tension in the cable to power a generator on the ground (weight saving).

Related to How will this Buoyant-Wind/Helium Powered Kite fly in air?

1. How does the buoyancy of the helium affect the flight of the kite?

The buoyancy of the helium plays a critical role in the flight of the kite. The helium provides lift, allowing the kite to stay in the air. It also counteracts the weight of the kite, making it easier to control and maneuver.

2. How does wind affect the flight of the kite?

The wind is the primary source of propulsion for the kite. The wind creates an upward force, known as lift, which keeps the kite in the air. The speed and direction of the wind will also impact the flight of the kite, as it can affect the kite's stability and direction.

3. What is the purpose of using helium in a kite?

Using helium in a kite allows it to stay in the air for longer periods of time. Helium is a lighter-than-air gas, providing lift and making it easier to control the kite. Additionally, using helium eliminates the need for a heavy frame or structure, making the kite more lightweight and agile.

4. How does the design of the kite impact its flight?

The design of the kite is crucial to its flight. A properly designed kite will have enough surface area to catch the wind and create lift, without being too heavy or cumbersome. The shape and structure of the kite also affect its stability and maneuverability in the air.

5. What are the potential limitations of using a buoyant-wind/helium powered kite?

One potential limitation is the availability of helium, as it is a non-renewable resource and can be expensive. The wind conditions can also affect the flight of the kite, as it may not be able to fly in extreme weather conditions. Additionally, the design and structure of the kite may limit its speed and maneuverability compared to other types of kites.