How will I represent the scalar function?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to represent a scalar function and work out the left-hand side of a given question using the product rule of differentiation. There is also a suggestion to not use subscripts for partial derivatives to avoid confusion.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

show that [itex]\nabla \times (f F)= f \nabla \times F+ (\nabla f) \times F[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

How will I represent the scalar function? Do I write [itex]f=\psi(x,y,z)[/itex] or

[itex]f=A_x+A_y+A_z[/itex]

I chose [itex]F=a_x \vec i +a_y \vec j +a_z \vec k[/itex]

Using [itex]f=\psi(x,y,z)[/itex] I work out the LHS of question as

[itex](\psi a_z)_y-(\psi a_y)_z-(\psi a_z)_x+(\psi a_x)_z+(\psi a_y)_x-(\psi a_x)_y[/itex]....How to go further?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

show that [itex]\nabla \times (f F)= f \nabla \times F+ (\nabla f) \times F[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

How will I represent the scalar function? Do I write [itex]f=\psi(x,y,z)[/itex] or

[itex]f=A_x+A_y+A_z[/itex]

I chose [itex]F=a_x \vec i +a_y \vec j +a_z \vec k[/itex]

Using [itex]f=\psi(x,y,z)[/itex] I work out the LHS of question as

[itex](\psi a_z)_y-(\psi a_y)_z-(\psi a_z)_x+(\psi a_x)_z+(\psi a_y)_x-(\psi a_x)_y[/itex]....How to go further?

Thanks
Just saying that f is a function of x, y, and z would have been sufficient, but [itex]f=\psi(x,y,z)[/itex] is perfectly fine.

Use the product rule (of differentiation) for each of [itex](\psi a_z)_y\,,\ (\psi a_y)_z\,,\ (\psi a_z)_x\,,\ (\psi a_x)_z\,,\ (\psi a_y)_x\,,\ (\psi a_x)_y\,.[/itex]

Using subscripts for partial derivatives may not be such a good idea here. There may be some confusion as to the meaning of such quantities as [itex](a_x)_y[/itex] for example.

SammyS said:
Just saying that f is a function of x, y, and z would have been sufficient, but [itex]f=\psi(x,y,z)[/itex] is perfectly fine.

Use the product rule (of differentiation) for each of [itex](\psi a_z)_y\,,\ (\psi a_y)_z\,,\ (\psi a_z)_x\,,\ (\psi a_x)_z\,,\ (\psi a_y)_x\,,\ (\psi a_x)_y\,.[/itex]

Using subscripts for partial derivatives may not be such a good idea here. There may be some confusion as to the meaning of such quantities as [itex](a_x)_y[/itex] for example.

Ok but why would we use the product rule though, looking at the first term for example

if psi is a function of x,y and z but since we are partially differentiating wrt y doesn't it just become [itex]a_z \psi_y[/itex]. Ie, if the function was something like [itex]\psi=x^2y^2z^2[/itex] then [itex]\psi_y= 2yx^2z^2[/itex] etc

bugatti79 said:
Ok but why would we use the product rule though, looking at the first term for example

if psi is a function of x,y and z but since we are partially differentiating wrt y doesn't it just become [itex]a_z \psi_y[/itex]. Ie, if the function was something like [itex]\psi=x^2y^2z^2[/itex] then [itex]\psi_y= 2yx^2z^2[/itex] etc
az is also a function of x, y, and z.

[itex]\displaystyle\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\psi a_y\right)=\left(\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y}\right)a_y+\psi\left(\frac{\partial a_y}{\partial y}\right)[/itex]

SammyS said:
az is also a function of x, y, and z.

[itex]\displaystyle\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\psi a_y\right)=\left(\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y}\right)a_y+\psi\left(\frac{\partial a_y}{\partial y}\right)[/itex]

I got this, thank you.

Related to How will I represent the scalar function?

1. What is a scalar function?

A scalar function is a mathematical function that takes in one or more inputs and returns a single numerical value as an output. It maps elements from one set to elements in another set of real numbers, commonly denoted as f(x).

2. How is a scalar function represented?

A scalar function is typically represented using a graph or an equation. In a graph, the input values are plotted on the horizontal axis and the corresponding output values are plotted on the vertical axis. In an equation, the function is expressed using variables and mathematical operations.

3. What is the purpose of representing a scalar function?

The purpose of representing a scalar function is to visually and mathematically understand the relationship between the input and output values. It helps in analyzing the behavior of the function and making predictions about its future values.

4. How do you determine the domain and range of a scalar function?

The domain of a scalar function is the set of all possible input values for which the function is defined. It can be determined by looking at the horizontal axis of the graph or the variable used in the equation. The range, on the other hand, is the set of all possible output values of the function and can be determined by looking at the vertical axis of the graph or solving for the possible values of the output variable in the equation.

5. Can a scalar function have multiple representations?

Yes, a scalar function can have multiple representations. For instance, a linear function can be represented using a graph, an equation, a table, or even a real-life scenario. However, all these representations will have the same fundamental characteristics and behavior.