How weight of an object divides into components

In summary, the conversation discusses a uniform rod inclined on the ground with its middle point supported by a peg. The weight of the rod is divided into mg cos(theta) and mg sin(theta) components. The question arises of how to measure the weight at a different point D and what are the conditions for the rod to be supported at that point. The concept of frictional force and how it relates to the point touching the ground is also mentioned. A diagram is suggested to help with these problems. The conversation then shifts to a specific problem related to Newton's Third Law and the confusion surrounding the use of weight at a different point. The main issue is understanding how the centre of gravity works when considering other points on the object.
fireflies
Let us suppose a rod is inclined on the ground such that its middle point is supported by a peg. It is a uniform rod and the point where it touches the ground is A, mid-point (also the centre of gravity) is C. The rod is inclined at angle theta with
horizon. So, we can divide the components of weight into
mgcos(theta) against the normal of the rod, andg sin (theta) along
the rod. Then how do we measure it if the peg was at any
other point D (I meant measure
the weight at D), which is not the centre of gravity? What are the conditions to support the rod then, when the angle is same? How frictional force is at the point touching the ground?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Courtney said:
A diagram helps a lot for these problems.

Yes, I tried with a diagram.

The actual confusion started when I tried to solve this problem www.physicsforums.com/threads/Newtons-third-law-confusion.825741/

There I got at C the force along the rod is mg cos theta which passes through the point touching ground. At that point I further divided the mg sin theta into components to find the frictional force and reaction force. Then, the question came, why not use weight here. I know the answer, it is because the weight acts along the centre of gravity. Then the question comes, what should I do then if the peg was some point above C, suppose at D? What would it change in frictional force then?

Well, I think the main problem I am having is with centre of gravity. How it works when we consider the other points of the object other than centre of gravity? Maybe the answers of the previous questions may give a clear view to the later ones

Related to How weight of an object divides into components

1. How is the weight of an object divided into components?

The weight of an object is divided into components based on the direction of the forces acting on it. This can be done using vector analysis, where the weight is broken down into its horizontal and vertical components.

2. Why is it important to divide the weight of an object into components?

Dividing the weight of an object into components helps in understanding the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on it. This is crucial in determining the stability and equilibrium of the object.

3. What is the mathematical formula for finding the components of an object's weight?

The formula for finding the components of an object's weight is: Fx = W * cosθ and Fy = W * sinθ, where Fx is the horizontal component, Fy is the vertical component, W is the weight of the object, and θ is the angle of the weight with the horizontal axis.

4. How does the angle of the weight affect the components of an object's weight?

The angle of the weight with the horizontal axis determines the magnitude of the horizontal and vertical components. A smaller angle will result in a larger horizontal component, while a larger angle will result in a larger vertical component.

5. Can the weight of an object be divided into more than two components?

Yes, the weight of an object can be divided into any number of components as long as the direction of the forces acting on it is known. This can be done by using trigonometric functions to calculate the components in different directions.