Show Line of action of suspended rods relative to points on the rods

In summary: Now, in summary, the figure shown consists of two rods at right angles to each other, each with a length of 2m. The midpoint of AC is D and the midpoint of AD is E. When the arrangement is suspended from A and in equilibrium, the line of action of the weight of the arrangement is from A to the mass centre of the arrangement. When the arrangement is suspended from D and in equilibrium, the line of action of the weight of the arrangement is from D to the mass centre of the arrangement. The mass centre of the entire arrangement is located at (1/2, 1/2) relative to points A, B, C, D, and E.
Richie Smash

Homework Statement

The figure shown consists of two rods at right angles to each other and each is uniform of 2m length.
D and E are the midpoints of AC and AD
Draw the line of action of the weight of the arrangement relative to A, B,C, D and E when it is
(a) Suspended from A and in equilibrium
(b) Suspended from D and in equilibrium

(ii) Clearly indicate the position of the centre of gravity of the arrangement relative to A,B,C,D and E

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

On my diagram I have drawn one big line from A and I believe that would be the line of action?

The arrows in red indicate the lines of actions from each point, however they want the line of action of the entire weight of the arrangement, so clearly the centre of gravity will indicate where this weight is

From there I can draw the line of action I believe, I know that the centre of gravity is in the middle of the uniform object but I only have the centre of Gravity for the two individual planks, I'm not sure how to get the CG for the entire thing.

Also I'm not sure how to drawn the two different lines of actions It is rather confusing.

But actually, in my opinion I would say that the centre of gravity of the entire thing is at point A?

I edited the photo actually, and just have drawn the line of action when it is suspended at A and the centre of gravity, indicated in blue

Attachments

• gg.png
    gg.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org
Richie Smash said:
On my diagram I have drawn one big line from A and I believe that would be the line of action?
Case a), case b), or both?
Richie Smash said:
I would say that the centre of gravity of the entire thing is at point A?
Certainly not.
How do you find the common mass centre of two equal masses if you know their mass centres?

The line was for case (a)

You find the common mass centre by adding the mass *length of each plank divided b the sum of their masses?

Richie Smash said:
You find the common mass centre by adding the mass *length of each plank divided b the sum of their masses?
That works in one dimension, but this is two dimensional.
For equal masses, where the individual masses are known, it is quite simple.

the centre of gravity is

Xcg= (Mass1*Length from reference point 1+Mass2*Length from reference point 2)/ Mass1+Mass2

How do I picture the lines of action someone help :(

Richie Smash said:
Xcg= (Mass1*Length from reference point 1+Mass2*Length from reference point 2)/ Mass1+Mass2
That is true in one dimension, but it is not at all clear what you mean by that in two dimensions.

Here's a clue: if you want the mass centre of an assemblage, all you need to know is the mass and mass centre of each body in the assemblage. I.e. you can treat each body as a point mass.
Can you apply that to the two rods?

OK, well if each body is a mass point, then (an entire rod * the mass centre, +the next entire rod * the mass centre,) /the two entire rods added mass

Richie Smash said:
(an entire rod * the mass centre, +the next entire rod * the mass centre,) /the two entire rods added mass
That is still completely unclear. How is anyone supposed to multiply a rod by its mass centre? It is meaningless.
If you meant "mass of entire rod * position of its mass centre", how are you turning the position into a number?

In co-ordinates, say A=(0,0), B=(0,2), C=(2,0).
Where is the mass centre of AB?
Where is the mass centre of AC?
Where is the mass centre of the two combined?

Likes Richie Smash
AB is (1,0)
AC is (0,1)

The mass centre of the two is (1/2,1/2)

Richie Smash said:
AB is (0,1)
AC is (1,0)

The mass centre of the two is (1/2,1/2)
Right!
So can you now draw how it would hang from A and from D?

This is from A

Attachments

• gg.png
    gg.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 450
Richie Smash said:
This is from A
Yes.

this is from D

Attachments

• gg.png
    gg.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 484
Richie Smash said:
this is from D
Correct.

Likes Richie Smash

Related to Show Line of action of suspended rods relative to points on the rods

1. What is the purpose of showing the line of action of suspended rods relative to points on the rods?

The purpose of showing the line of action of suspended rods is to illustrate the forces acting on the rods and how they are distributed. By showing the line of action of these forces, it allows for a better understanding and analysis of the structural integrity and stability of the suspended rods.

2. How do you determine the line of action of suspended rods?

The line of action of a suspended rod can be determined by analyzing the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on the rod. This can be done through mathematical calculations or by using graphical methods such as a free body diagram.

3. What factors can affect the line of action of suspended rods?

The line of action of suspended rods can be affected by various factors such as the weight and distribution of the load on the rod, the angle at which the rod is suspended, and the rigidity of the supporting structure. Other external factors such as wind or seismic activity can also influence the line of action.

4. How does the line of action of suspended rods impact the overall stability of a structure?

The line of action of suspended rods is a critical factor in determining the overall stability of a structure. If the forces acting on the rods are not properly distributed, it can lead to structural failure or collapse. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider and analyze the line of action when designing and constructing a structure.

5. Can the line of action of suspended rods change over time?

Yes, the line of action of suspended rods can change over time. Factors such as changes in the load or environmental conditions can cause the forces acting on the rods to shift, altering the line of action. Regular monitoring and maintenance of the suspended rods is necessary to ensure their stability and structural integrity.