How unitary change of basis related to Trace?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how a unitary change of basis does not affect the trace of an operator. The concept of change of basis is explained and it is shown that Tr(B)=Tr(A)=Tr(T^(-1)BT), proving that the trace is invariant under cyclic permutations. The conversation also touches on the physical and mathematical understanding of this concept.
Shing

Homework Statement

Shanker 1.7.1
3.)Show that the trace of an operator is unaffected by a unitary change of basis (Equivalently, show [itex]TrΩ=TrU^{\dagger}ΩU[/itex]

Homework Equations

I can show that via Shanker's hint, but I however can't see how a unitary change of basis links to [itex]TrΩ=TrU^{\dagger}ΩU[/itex], (and it really giving me a headache!) Would anyone be kind enough to explain to me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is some identity which tells you that [itex]\mathrm{Tr}(AB) = \mathrm{Tr}(BA)[/itex] (more generally one could state that the trace is invariant under cyclic permutations). Use it and your problem should be as good as solved.

Forgive my ignorance,
But shouldn't "unaffected by a unitary change of basis" be expressed as[itex]TrUΩ=TrΩ[/itex]

Last edited:
Shing said:
Forgive my ignorance,
But shouldn't "unaffected by a unitary change of basis" be expressed as[itex]TrUΩ=TrΩ[/itex]

No. A matrix A is a change of basis of a matrix B if A=T^(-1)BT for a nonsingular matrix T.

Thanks for reply,
So here is my understanding: we map A to B, A and B represent the same thing in different bases, and their mathematical relation is [itex]A=T^{-1}AT[/itex]
am I right?
I have a rough picture now, but Sadly, I still can't see the physical picture, neither the mathematics.
, and shanker surely was telling the truth! One should know a bit more of linear algebra before embrace into it!

Thanks guys, anyway :)

Now I got it a bit!
For column vector (1,0) -> (0 ,1)
And T is {(0,1),(1,0)} :)
Did I get it right?

Shing said:
Now I got it a bit!
For column vector (1,0) -> (0 ,1)
And T is {(0,1),(1,0)} :)
Did I get it right?

If T is unitary then sure that's an option. So T takes (1,0) -> (0,1) and (0,1) -> (1,0). T^(-1) (which happens to be the same as T, but that's usually not the case) does the opposite. So to figure out what A is 'equivalent' (not equal!) to B, you use T to rotate a vector to the basis of B, then let B act on it, then undo the rotation with T^(-1), so A=T^(-1)BT. I know this is vague. But none of this vagueness should stop you from being able to show Tr(B)=Tr(A)=Tr(T^(-1)BT). That change of bases don't change the trace.

Last edited:

Related to How unitary change of basis related to Trace?

1. What is a unitary change of basis?

A unitary change of basis is a mathematical operation that allows us to express a vector or matrix in a different coordinate system. It involves multiplying the original vector or matrix by a unitary matrix, which is a square matrix with complex entries that has an inverse equal to its conjugate transpose.

2. How is unitary change of basis related to Trace?

The trace of a matrix is the sum of its diagonal elements. When performing a unitary change of basis, the trace of the resulting matrix will remain the same as the trace of the original matrix. This is because the diagonal elements of a unitary matrix are complex numbers with a magnitude of 1, so when they are multiplied with the diagonal elements of the original matrix, the overall trace remains unchanged.

3. Why is Trace important in unitary change of basis?

The trace is important in unitary change of basis because it allows us to determine if the new matrix is still unitary. Since the trace remains the same, we can use it as a quick check to see if the resulting matrix is still unitary without having to perform additional calculations.

4. How does unitary change of basis affect the eigenvalues of a matrix?

A unitary change of basis does not change the eigenvalues of a matrix. This is because eigenvalues are the solutions to the characteristic equation of a matrix, and the characteristic equation remains the same after a unitary change of basis. However, the eigenvectors may change as they are dependent on the coordinate system.

5. Can a non-unitary matrix be used for change of basis?

No, a non-unitary matrix cannot be used for change of basis. This is because a non-unitary matrix does not have an inverse, which is required for converting between coordinate systems. Only unitary matrices have inverses, making them suitable for change of basis operations.