How to Write an Answer for Integration with Logarithms?

• MHB
  • Thread starter jiasyuen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is discussing whether the answer to the given integral should be written in the form $\frac{1}{3}\ln(3e^x-1)+c$ or $\frac{1}{3}\ln|3e^x-1|+c$. The expert summarizer concludes that it is possible to write the answer in either form as long as the condition $3e^x-1 > 0$ is satisfied. The expert also adds that it is possible to write the answer as $\ln f(x)+c$ regardless of whether $f(x)$ is positive or negative, as long as it is not equal to 0.
jiasyuen
For example, \(\displaystyle \int \frac{e^x}{3e^x-1}dx\),

Should I write my answer in this \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\ln (3e^x-1)+c\) or \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\ln \left | 3e^x-1 \right |+c\) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
jiasyuen said:

Should I write my answer in this \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\ln (3e^x-1)+c\) or \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\ln \left | 3e^x-1 \right |+c\) ?

$\displaystyle \int \frac{e^{x}}{3\ e^{x} - 1}\ d x = \frac{1}{3}\ \int \frac{e^{x}}{e^{x} - \frac{1}{3}}\ d x = \frac{1}{3}\ \ln |e^{x} - \frac{1}{3}| + c $

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

jiasyuen said:

You can remove the absolute value symbols as long as:

\(\displaystyle 3e^x-1>0\)

for all values of $x$ in the integrand's domain...what do you conclude?

In my opinion it is possible to write...

$\displaystyle \int \frac{f^{\ '} (x)}{f(x)}\ d x = \ln f(x) + c\ (1)$

... no matter if in a given interval is $f(x) > 0$ or $f(x) < 0$ [but not $f(x)=0$...] , taking into account that for $f(x)<0$ is $\ln f(x) = \ln |f(x)| + i\ \pi$...

Kind regards

chi sigma

Related to How to Write an Answer for Integration with Logarithms?

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a curve in a specific interval. It is used to find the total value of a function, which can represent quantities such as distance, velocity, or volume.

2. Why is integration important?

Integration is important because it allows us to solve problems that involve continuous change and accumulation. It is widely used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

3. What are the two types of integration?

The two types of integration are definite and indefinite. Definite integration involves finding the exact value of the integral within a specific interval, while indefinite integration involves finding the general solution of an integral.

4. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that integration and differentiation are inverse operations. This means that if a function is integrated and then differentiated, the result will be the original function.

5. How is integration used in real life?

Integration is used in real life to solve various problems involving continuous change, such as calculating the area under a curve to find the total distance traveled by a moving object, or finding the volume of an irregularly shaped object. It is also used in economics to calculate the total revenue and cost functions.