How to view light absorption by atoms

In summary, photons excite atoms, causing them to increase in energy. I view this increase in energy as jostling of a atom causing more movement of its proton, neutrons, electrons.
klij
the way i understand it is photons excite atoms, causing them to increase in energy. i view this increase in energy as jostling of a atom causing more movement of its proton, neutrons, electrons.

i realize a photon is a particle and a wave(in limited comprehension.)

so should i view the transfer for energy as a vibration(wave form of light) traveling then hits a medium(atom), causing a vibration as it passes through?

or should i view this as a particle passing through passing through a systems(atoms) orbit. much like a rogue planet passing through a solar system effects caused by gravity possible collision?

or neither?

Physics news on Phys.org
A photon is an electrical field wave, it affects the electron motion as an electric force. If electron initially turns around a nucleus in a round orbit (a circle), then, after receiving a push from a photon, its orbit gets elliptic.

A single photon is fundamentally a particle, but in quantum mechanics this means it does not necessarily have a precise position or momentum; it’s smeared out in some sense. But you can make it so that the position and momentum are reasonably localized. Electrons (and any other fundamental particle with electric charge) interact with a photon in a fundamental way. In the case of the atom, an electron and photon meet and we are left with just the electron, but with a larger energy (absorption). The nucleus does not take part in this situation.

Incidentally, the planetary picture of an atom is not generally so good. This is because, as in the previous paragraph, the electron according to quantum mechanics doesn’t have a precise position or momentum, though the amount of the smearing depends on the physical situation. In the case of typical atomic orbits, the electron is delocalized around the nucleus, so it doesn’t make sense to say it’s orbiting like a planet (in the case of a Rydberg atom—see Wikipedia—an outer electron can be approximately pictured like this, though).

Note that both the electron and photon are particles but have “wave properties” according to quantum mechanics. In the case of the photon, the wavelike properties were brushed aside by saying we could try to start with a photon localized it in a reasonable region of space, while the electron’s wavelike property could not be ignored, and in its atomic orbital it is delocalized.

so its actually movement(in form of a wave or vibration) of the fields charged objects produce?
so the photons would wash over the matter in wave form only affecting charged objects. any photon in collision with a electron is absorbed.

why do photons not effect protons?

sorry for all the questions i am trying to do as much research on my own as possible, to cut down on the questions, it kinda makes more sense if i think about it like gravity.

Last edited:
also it doesn't matter the direction the photon approaches, the electron always increases in energy?

Related to How to view light absorption by atoms

1. What is light absorption by atoms?

Light absorption by atoms is the process in which atoms absorb light energy and undergo a transition from a lower energy state to a higher energy state.

2. How does light absorption by atoms occur?

Light absorption by atoms occurs when photons, which are packets of light energy, interact with the electrons in an atom. The electrons absorb the energy of the photons and jump to a higher energy level, leaving the atom in an excited state.

3. What factors affect light absorption by atoms?

The factors that affect light absorption by atoms include the energy of the photons, the energy levels of the electrons in the atom, and the properties of the atom such as its size, shape, and chemical composition.

4. Why is it important to study light absorption by atoms?

Studying light absorption by atoms can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of atoms, which can be applied in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and astronomy. It can also help us understand the behavior of light and its interactions with matter.

5. What techniques are commonly used to view light absorption by atoms?

Some common techniques used to view light absorption by atoms include spectroscopy, where the absorption of light at different wavelengths is measured, and microscopy, which uses specialized microscopes to observe the absorption of light by individual atoms.