How to Use Pascal's Identity to Simplify a Combinatorial Proof

• Thread starter pazo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses a combinatorial proof involving the formula \colv{n+1}{2} < \colv{n_1+1}{2} + \colv{n_2+1}{2} + ...+ \colv{n_k+1}{2} for all positive numbers n, n1,n2,nk, where 2 \leq k \leq n and \sum_{i=1}^k n_i = n. The conversation suggests using Pascal's identity and considering the case where k = n to prove the inequality.
pazo
I cannot seem to understand how to do a combinatorial proof on this one.

1. The problem statement: all variables and given/known data
Prove that for all positive numbers n, n1,n2,nk, where 2 [tex]\leq[/tex] k [tex]\leq[/tex] n, and [tex]\sum_{i=1}^k n_i = n [/tex] the following is true
[tex]
\newcommand{\colv}[2] {\left(\begin{array}{c} #1 \\ #2 \end{array}\right)}
\colv{n+1}{2} < \colv{n_1+1}{2} + \colv{n_2+1}{2} + ...+ \colv{n_k+1}{2}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I applied pascals identity to remove "+ 1", and now I have the formula:
[tex]
\colv{n}{2} < \colv{n_1}{2} + \colv{n_2}{2} + ... + \colv{n_k}{2}
[/tex]

But I must admit that this still doesn't seem to help my understanding of how to attack this problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
have you tried writing out the LHS explicitly as
[tex]\newcommand{\colv}[2] {\left(\begin{array}{c} #1 \\ #2 \end{array}\right)} \colv{n_k}{2} = \frac{n_k(n_k -1)}{2}[/tex]

I haven't followed it though, but could be good place to start. Trying the 2 var case say n = p+q could also lead to some useful insights

I made an error. Sorry!
[tex]
\colv{n+1}{2} > \colv{n_1+1}{2} + \colv{n_2+1}{2} + ...+ \colv{n_k+1}{2}
[/tex]
is the right one(I changed < with >).

ok so have you tried the other stuff yet?

lanedance:

I tried, but didn't get any further. I need, somehow, to get the part in where [tex]2 \leq k \leq n[/tex]. But then again if k = n it won't be true. So I also need the part where

[tex]
\sum_{i=1}^k n_i = n
[/tex]

Do you have any advice on how to do that? Or am I completely wrong? :)

well if k = n then, ni = 1, and the inequality becomes

[tex]\newcommand{\colv}[2] {\left(\begin{array}{c} #1 \\ #2 \end{array}\right)}\colv{n+1}{2} > \colv{2}{2} + \colv{2}{2} + ...+ \colv{2}{2} = 1+1+..+1 = n[/tex]

[tex]\newcommand{\colv}[2] {\left(\begin{array}{c} #1 \\ #2 \end{array}\right)}\colv{n+1}{2} = \frac{(n+1)!}{(n-1)!(2)!} = \frac{(n+1)n}{2} > n[/tex]

so the inequality is true as n >= 2

now see what you can do with post #2

Related to How to Use Pascal's Identity to Simplify a Combinatorial Proof

1. What is a combinatorial proof?

A combinatorial proof is a mathematical proof that uses counting principles and techniques from combinatorics to prove the validity of a statement or theorem.

2. How is a combinatorial proof different from other mathematical proofs?

A combinatorial proof is unique in that it uses counting principles and combinatorial concepts, such as permutations and combinations, to demonstrate the validity of a statement or theorem. This approach is often more intuitive and easier to understand compared to other mathematical proofs.

3. Can combinatorial proofs be used in all branches of mathematics?

Yes, combinatorial proofs can be used in various branches of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and number theory. They are particularly useful in discrete mathematics, which deals with countable, finite structures.

4. What are the advantages of using combinatorial proofs?

Combinatorial proofs can offer a more intuitive and visual understanding of mathematical concepts, making them easier to grasp. They also often provide alternative and creative solutions to problems, and can lead to new insights and discoveries.

5. Are there any limitations to using combinatorial proofs?

While combinatorial proofs can be powerful and useful, they may not be applicable to all mathematical statements and theorems. In some cases, other types of proofs may be more appropriate or necessary. Additionally, combinatorial proofs may require a strong understanding of combinatorial concepts and techniques, which can be challenging for some individuals.