How to Use Gauss Chebyshev Formula for Approximating Integrals with n=3?

In summary, the Gauss Chebyshev formula with $n=3$ is used to approximate the value of the integral of $\displaystyle \int_{-1}^{1} \frac{x^{4}}{\sqrt{1 - x^{2}}}\ d x$, which is equal to the sum of the weights $w_{i}$ multiplied by the function values $f(x_{i})$ at the zeros $x_{i}$ of a simple set of orthogonal polynomials. The values of $x_{i}$ and $w_{i}$ for $n=3$ are calculated using the formula $\displaystyle x_{i} = \cos (\frac{2\ i -1}{2\ n}\ \
jiasyuen
Use Gauss Chebyshev formula with $n=3$ to approximate the value of the integral.

$$\int \frac{x^4}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx$$ from -1 to 1.

Also compare the result with true value, where the zeros and the corresponding weights of the following simple set of orthogonal polynomial is given as below.

$x_i=0,\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2},-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}$

$w_i=1,2,2$

$i=1,2,3$I visited the wikipedia about this formula, but I really don't know how to use it. Can anyone guide me?

Physics news on Phys.org
jiasyuen said:
Use Gauss Chebyshev formula with $n=3$ to approximate the value of the integral.

Also compare the result with true value, where the zeros and the corresponding weights of the following simple set of orthogonal polynomial is given as below.

$w_i=1,2,2$

$i=1,2,3$I visited the wikipedia about this formula, but I really don't know how to use it. Can anyone guide me?

The Gauss Chebyshef of order n approximates the integral as...

$\displaystyle \int_{-1}^{1} \frac{f(x)}{\sqrt{1 - x^{2}}}\ dx \sim \sum_{i=1}^{n} w_{i}\ f(x_{i})\ (1)$

In Your case is...

$n=3$

$ f(x)=x^{4}$

$w_i=1,2,2$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

jiasyuen said:

$w_i=1,2,2$

Probably there are some mistakes in the $x_{i}$ and $w_{i}$ because is...

$\displaystyle x_{i} = \cos (\frac{2\ i -1}{2\ n}\ \pi), w_{i} = \frac{\pi}{n}\ (1)$

... and for n=3... $\displaystyle x_{1} = \cos \frac{\pi}{6} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}$

$\displaystyle x_{2} = \cos \frac{\pi}{2} = 0$

$\displaystyle x_{3} = \cos (\frac{5}{6}\ \pi) = - \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}$

$\displaystyle w_{1}=w_{2}=w_{3}= \frac{\pi}{6}$

... so that applying the Gauss Chebyshef formula You obtain...

$\displaystyle \int_{-1}^{1} \frac{x^{4}}{\sqrt{1 - x^{2}}}\ d x = \frac{3}{8}\ \pi\ (2)$

... which is the exact value of the integral [a great advantage of this type of integration formula...] (Happy) ...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to How to Use Gauss Chebyshev Formula for Approximating Integrals with n=3?

What is the Gauss Chebyshev formula?

The Gauss Chebyshev formula is a mathematical formula used to approximate the values of a function over a specified interval. It is based on the use of Chebyshev polynomials, which are a set of orthogonal polynomials that can be used to accurately approximate a wide range of functions.

How is the Gauss Chebyshev formula different from other approximation methods?

Unlike other approximation methods, the Gauss Chebyshev formula is specifically designed to minimize error over the entire interval, rather than just at specific points. This makes it a more accurate and efficient method for approximating functions.

What is the purpose of using Chebyshev polynomials in the Gauss Chebyshev formula?

Chebyshev polynomials have the unique property of being orthogonal, meaning they are perpendicular to each other when plotted on a graph. This property allows for more accurate and efficient approximation of functions, as they minimize the error between the actual function and the approximation.

What are the limitations of the Gauss Chebyshev formula?

The Gauss Chebyshev formula is most effective for functions that are smooth and continuous over the entire interval. It may not accurately approximate functions with discontinuities or sharp changes in value. Additionally, it may require a large number of terms to accurately approximate functions with high curvature.

How is the Gauss Chebyshev formula used in real-world applications?

The Gauss Chebyshev formula is commonly used in engineering and scientific fields to approximate functions and solve complex mathematical problems. It is particularly useful in areas such as signal processing, numerical analysis, and statistics. It can also be used in machine learning and data analysis to approximate and model data.