How to Use Epsilon-Delta Definition of Limits to Prove Inequality?

In summary, the problem asks to prove that there exists a number \delta >0 such that for all x satisfying 1- \delta < x< 1+ \delta, f(x) is less than g(x) when lim_{x \rightarrow 1} f(x)=\alpha and lim_{x \rightarrow 1} g(x)=\beta, with \alpha < \beta. This can be done by using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit and choosing a suitable value for \epsilon.
zeebo17

Homework Statement

Let [tex]f: \Re \rightarrow \Re [/tex] and [tex]g: \Re \rightarrow \Re [/tex] be functions such that
[tex] lim_{x \rightarrow 1} f(x)=\alpha [/tex]
and
[tex] lim_{x \rightarrow 1} g(x)=\beta [/tex]
for some [tex] \alpha, \beta \in \Re [/tex] with [tex] \alpha < \beta [/tex]. Use the [tex] \epsilon-\delta [/tex] definition of a limit to prove there exists a number [tex]\delta >0[/tex]
such that [tex] f(x)<g(x) [/tex] for all [tex] x [/tex] satisfying [tex]1- \delta < x< 1+ \delta [/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

By definition I know that there exists a
[tex] \delta_1 >0 [/tex] s.t. [tex] \left|f(x)-\alpha \right|< \epsilon_1[/tex] [tex]\forall \left| x-\alpha \right| < \delta_1 [/tex]
and
[tex] \delta_2 >0 [/tex] s.t. [tex] \left|g(x)-\beta \right|< \epsilon_2[/tex] [tex]\forall \left| x-\beta \right| < \delta_2 [/tex].

Then I know that the [tex]1- \delta < x< 1+ \delta [/tex] can simplify to [tex] \left| x-1 \right| < \delta [/tex].

Perhaps I should set [tex] \delta = min( \delta_1, \delta_2) [/tex]? It seems that I need to show that if I can get [tex] x [/tex] close enough to 1 ([tex] \left| x-1 \right| < \delta [/tex]) then [tex] f(x) [/tex] can get close enough to [tex] \alpha [/tex] and [tex] g(x) [/tex] can get close enough to [tex]\beta[/tex], thus because [tex]\alpha < \beta[/tex] we have [tex]f(x) < g(x)[/tex]. Am I on the right track? If so how would I start to prove this?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to find [itex]\delta[/itex], but remember that [itex]\delta[/itex] depends on [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. You're on the right track; what do you think you need to pick for epsilon so that f(x) is "close enough" to [itex]\alpha[/itex] and g(x) is "close enough" to [itex]\beta[/itex]?

Related to How to Use Epsilon-Delta Definition of Limits to Prove Inequality?

What is Epsilon Delta Application?

Epsilon Delta application is a mathematical method used in the field of calculus to prove the continuity of a function at a specific point. It involves specifying a small distance (epsilon) and finding a corresponding small interval (delta) where the function values will remain within a certain range.

Why is Epsilon Delta Application important?

Epsilon Delta application is important because it allows us to rigorously prove the continuity of a function at a specific point. This is essential in many areas of mathematics and science, as it provides a solid foundation for further analysis and calculations.

How is Epsilon Delta Application used?

Epsilon Delta application is used by specifying a small distance (epsilon) and finding a corresponding small interval (delta) where the function values will remain within a certain range. This is done by manipulating the function and using algebraic techniques to find a suitable delta.

What are some common misconceptions about Epsilon Delta Application?

One common misconception about Epsilon Delta application is that it is only used in calculus. However, it is also used in other areas of mathematics and science, such as real analysis, topology, and differential equations.

What are the limitations of Epsilon Delta Application?

Epsilon Delta application can only be used to prove the continuity of a function at a specific point. It cannot be used to prove the continuity of a function over an interval or an entire domain. It also requires a good understanding of algebraic techniques and mathematical concepts, making it challenging for beginners to grasp.