How to Use Cauchy Integral Formula for Homework Problems?

In summary: The Attempt at a Solution The homework statement says to evaluate \intc ((5z-2)/(z(z-1)(z-3)))dz where c is the circle of radius 2 about the origin.I tried partial fractions and got (-2)/(3z) + ((-3)/2(z-1)) + (13/6(z-3)) which has three isolated singularities z = 0, z = 1, z = 3. Only two of these are interior to c.Since (-2)/(3z) is already a Laurent series when 0 < lzl < 1 and((-3)/2(
jjangub

Homework Statement

1) Evaluate [tex]\int[/tex]c ((5z-2)/(z(z-1)(z-3)))dz where c is the circle of radius 2 about the origin.
2) Evaluate [tex]\int[/tex]c (2*(z^2)-z+1) / ((z-1)^2(z+1))dz where c proceeds around the boundary of the figure eight formed by two circles of radius 1 with centres 1 and -1 by starting at 0, going once counterclockwise around the right circle followed by going once counterclockwise around the left circle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I used partial fractions and got (-2)/(3z) + ((-3)/2(z-1)) + (13/6(z-3))
it has three isolated sigularities z = 0, z = 1, z = 3, only two are interior to c.
Since (-2)/(3z) is already a Larurent Series when 0 < lzl < 1 and
((-3)/2(z-1)) is Laurent Series when 0 < lz - 1l< 1.
therefore, (2*pi*i) * (-2/3) + (2*pi*i) * (-3/2) = (-13*pi*i) / 3

2) I used partial fractions and got 1/(z+1) + 1/(z-1) + 1/((z-1)^2). We have to use Caucy Integral Formula(CIF).
for 1/(z+1), multiply top and bot by (z-1) then (z-1)/((z+1)(z-1)). To use CIF, f(z) = (z-1)/(z+1) and f(z0) = 1, therefore (2*pi*i) * f(1) = 0
for 1/(z-1), multiply top and bot by (z+1) then (z+1)/((z+1)(z-1). To use CIF, f(z) = (z+1)/(z+1) and f(z0) = 1, therefore (2*pi*i) * f(1) = 2*pi*i
for 1/((z-1)^2), I don't know about this one, if I do this like other two terms, then I get
something/0.

This probably won't make sense at all, but I tried...
Please tell me if I did something wrong.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
jjangub said:

Homework Statement

1) Evaluate [tex]\int[/tex]c ((5z-2)/(z(z-1)(z-3)))dz where c is the circle of radius 2 about the origin.
2) Evaluate [tex]\int[/tex]c (2*(z^2)-z+1) / ((z-1)^2(z+1))dz where c proceeds around the boundary of the figure eight formed by two circles of radius 1 with centres 1 and -1 by starting at 0, going once counterclockwise around the right circle followed by going once counterclockwise around the left circle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I used partial fractions and got (-2)/(3z) + ((-3)/2(z-1)) + (13/6(z-3))
it has three isolated sigularities z = 0, z = 1, z = 3, only two are interior to c.
Since (-2)/(3z) is already a Larurent Series when 0 < lzl < 1 and
((-3)/2(z-1)) is Laurent Series when 0 < lz - 1l< 1.
therefore, (2*pi*i) * (-2/3) + (2*pi*i) * (-3/2) = (-13*pi*i) / 3
This is correct.
2) I used partial fractions and got 1/(z+1) + 1/(z-1) + 1/((z-1)^2). We have to use Caucy Integral Formula(CIF).
for 1/(z+1), multiply top and bot by (z-1) then (z-1)/((z+1)(z-1)). To use CIF, f(z) = (z-1)/(z+1) and f(z0) = 1, therefore (2*pi*i) * f(1) = 0
for 1/(z-1), multiply top and bot by (z+1) then (z+1)/((z+1)(z-1). To use CIF, f(z) = (z+1)/(z+1) and f(z0) = 1, therefore (2*pi*i) * f(1) = 2*pi*i
for 1/((z-1)^2), I don't know about this one, if I do this like other two terms, then I get
something/0.

This probably won't make sense at all, but I tried...
Please tell me if I did something wrong.
Thank you.
You're making this one too complicated. Look at it like this:

[tex]\int_C \frac{2z^2-z+1}{(z-1)^2(z+1)}\,dz = \int_C \frac{1}{z+1}\,dz + \int_C \left[\frac{1}{z-1}+\frac{1}{(z-1)^2}\right]dz[/tex]

The first integral on the RHS is proportional to the residue of the integrand at z=-1; similarly, the second integral on the RHS is proportional to the residue of the integrand at z=1. They're both conveniently in the form of Laurent series, so you can read off what b1 is.

so do I get zero as the answer?
I tried residue theorem and I got zero.

I got 4πi. Show your work.

Last edited:
For the first term, it has a taylor series of 1-z+z^2-z^3+...
and the coefficient of z is the desired residue, 2[tex]\pi[/tex]*i*(-1) = -2[tex]\pi[/tex]*i
For the second term, taylor series is z+2*z^2+3*z^3+...
and the coefficient of z is the desired residue, 2[tex]\pi[/tex]*i*(1) = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]*i
so if I add these two then, I get zero...
( I don't know why pi appears like that, but its just 2*pi*i)

You're calculating the residue incorrectly. You have to expand the functions about the pole z0, and the residue will be the coefficient of the 1/(z-z0) term.

I just learned residue today...is there any other way to do this?
well, I can use residue, but I am not confident about it.
I have to do this by tomorrow...

It's simple. If you have a pole at z=z0 inside the contour, expand the integrand in powers of (z-z0). The coefficient of (z-z0)-1 is the residue.

For example, in the integral with the figure-8 contour

[tex]\int_C \frac{1}{z+1}\,dz[/tex]

there is a pole at z=-1, so you want to expand in powers of (z-(-1)) = z+1. Conveniently enough, the integrand is already in that form. (It's a Laurent series with only one term.) The coefficient of (z+1)-1 is 1, so the integral is equal to

[tex]\int_C \frac{1}{z+1}\,dz = 2\pi i (1) = 2\pi i[/tex]

(If the contour encircled the pole going clockwise, you'd flip the sign.)

Related to How to Use Cauchy Integral Formula for Homework Problems?

What is the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is a mathematical theorem that relates the values of a complex function on the boundary of a region to its values inside the region. It is named after the French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy.

What is the significance of the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is a fundamental result in complex analysis and has many applications in mathematics and physics. It allows for the calculation of complex integrals using only information about the function on the boundary, making it a powerful tool in the study of complex functions and their properties.

What is the formula for the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula states that for a function f(z) that is analytic inside and on a simple closed contour C, the value of the integral of f(z) around C is equal to the sum of the residues of f(z) at each of its isolated singularities inside C. In mathematical notation, it can be written as:

C f(z) dz = 2πi ∑ resk(f(z))

What is a residue in the context of the Cauchy Integral Formula?

In complex analysis, a residue is the value obtained by evaluating a function at its isolated singularities. In the context of the Cauchy Integral Formula, the residues are used to calculate the value of a complex integral.

What are some applications of the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula has many applications in mathematics and physics. Some examples include: calculating complex integrals, finding the value of infinite series, solving differential equations, and analyzing the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It is also used in the study of conformal mapping, which has applications in fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, and other fields.