How to type terminology on word document.

In summary: Word 2010I use the Mac OS version (2011) which still has a separate Equation Editor, but I replaced it with MathType (not free) which has more features including exporting to LaTeX.If you want to use LaTeX, then you will need to install a LaTeX editor. There are many free and paid options available.
Mathmanman
So, I was trying to type something like dy/dx or dt/dy or a^(n)dy/dx
But the problem is: I can't write subscripts on word or nth order derivatives. For my math club, I can't use ^ symbol or dx/dx (must be fraction form). I also need to know how to write the subscripts for y1, y2, y(n-1), y(n) for example.

So how do I do that? The main goal is to be neat and easy to read, since I don't want to confuse people in my mathematics club. (I'm making notes for them)

Physics news on Phys.org
You could always make your notes in LaTeX. It takes a very short while to learn the specifics.

I forgot to mention, the integration symbol with interval [a,b]

What is LaTeX?

Mathmanman said:
What is LaTeX?

It's this awesome program that all mathematicians use to typeset documents. It's really not too difficult to learn and you end up getting nice formulas such as

[tex]\int_a^b \frac{dy}{dx} dx[/tex]

This is a short guide for how to type LaTeX on this forum: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3977517&postcount=3

If you are interested in making your own documents, then I highly recommend the website https://www.writelatex.com/ No need to download anything, you can start typing your notes immediately (of course, if you write a lot in LaTeX, it might be worth it to finally download the program on your computer, it's free).

Read through this to get started: http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/latex-veryshortguide/veryshortguide.pdf
A list with the basic commands can be found on the FAQ I linked: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3977517&postcount=3

The only real difference is that the command

Code:
##x^2##

should be changed by

Code:
$x^2$

So, I can copy and paste it into word?

Microsoft Word normally comes with a tool named Equation Editor. Do you have it installed?

Mathmanman said:
So, I can copy and paste it into word?

The idea is never to use word again.

micromass said:
The idea is never to use word again.
Oh okay. But will it print out as a full page on paper? Can I copy and paste a word document that has been already made and edit with LaTeX?

jtbell said:
Microsoft Word normally comes with a tool named Equation Editor.
No I have not. Where can I go to install it? Link please.

Mathmanman said:
Oh okay. But will it print out as a full page on paper?

Sure. LaTeX is used to generate pdf documents (or other formats). These can be read and printed.

Can I copy and paste a word document that has been already made and edit with LaTeX?

Yes, you can just copy paste a word document into a LaTeX editor. You will likely have to make some adjustments though.

You should really try LaTeX. All mathematicians use it and all math books and articles are written with it. I am willing to help you with it if you want.

Mathmanman said:
No I have not. Where can I go to install it? Link please.

Which version of Word are you using? Apparently with Word (for Windows) 2003 Equation Editor was an add-on program (available on the Word installation disc, not as a download), but for 2007 and later the equation-editing capability was built in.

Inserting an equation in Word 2013

Word 2010

For other versions of Word, try Googling for something like "Word xxxx equation editor".

I use the Mac OS version (2011) which still has a separate Equation Editor, but I replaced it with MathType (not free) which has more features including exporting to LaTeX.

Mathmanman said:
Oh okay. But will it print out as a full page on paper? Can I copy and paste a word document that has been already made and edit with LaTeX?

People sometimes use "LaTeX" to mean just the equation editing part of the system (and on a forum like PF, the equation editing is the only part that is available).

LaTeX is a complete document creation system. I've used it on huge projects (e.g. 10,000 pages of text with maybe 50,000 cross-references from one place to another) that didn't contain any math equations at all. Don't try doing something that big in Word, if you want to stay sane!

@AlephZero I know this has nothing to do with the topic, but out of curiosity, what did you need for 10,000 pages of text??

Related to How to type terminology on word document.

1. How do I type terminology on a Word document?

To type terminology on a Word document, you can simply type the words using your keyboard. You can also use the "Insert" tab and select "Symbol" to insert special characters or symbols that may be needed for specific terminology. Additionally, you can use the "Format" tab to change the font or style of the terminology to make it stand out.

2. Can I create a glossary of terminology within my Word document?

Yes, you can create a glossary of terminology within your Word document by using the "References" tab and selecting "Insert Table of Contents". From there, you can choose the "Glossary" option and customize it to include the terminology you have used in your document.

3. How do I ensure proper formatting for my terminology in a Word document?

To ensure proper formatting for your terminology in a Word document, you can use the "Styles" feature under the "Home" tab. This allows you to create and apply consistent formatting to your terminology, making it easier to read and understand.

4. Is there a way to quickly add commonly used terminology to my Word document?

Yes, you can use the "AutoCorrect" feature in Word to quickly add commonly used terminology to your document. Simply go to the "File" tab, select "Options" and then choose "Proofing". From there, you can add your commonly used terminology and assign a shortcut or abbreviation that will automatically replace it with the full term when typed.

5. How can I organize my terminology on a Word document?

To organize your terminology on a Word document, you can use the "Outline" view under the "View" tab. This allows you to create headings and subheadings for different categories of terminology and easily move them around to rearrange their order.