How to turn my robot 90 degrees ?

In summary, Schip666 suggests using a combination of wheel encoders and location sensors to achieve accurate 90 degree turns.
ranoosh96
how to turn my robot 90 degrees ??

firstly I am an arabian so I wish you can talk an easy accent ^^

I will try to tell you every thing about my project in english
am working on robot which makes a square

but I couldn't turn it 90 degrees exactly

my robot has two motors dc every motor connected with one wheel
the task of my robot is Draw a square ...

I used pwm to controll the wheels so that the speed of each wheel with especially then The robot goes towards at least the wheel speed of the other

If you have an Idea to make a square without pwm please tell me ^_^

I wish my article is right hhhhhh sorry I am not so good at english ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Oops! I forget to tell you that , my robot has pin in the middle of the structure of the robot
so ... the robot draws wherever it walks

I'm going to presume that your 'bot has two wheels with the pen in the center between them (rather than something like a regular car which has four wheels where only the front ones turn). To make a 90deg turn "all you need to do" is turn on one of the motors for a specific amount of time, but this will make it turn around the other wheel rather than the pen in the center and you'll draw a curved corner. To get around that you can turn on the other wheel, going in the opposite direction, for the same amount of time -- actually, turn both on for half the time of the single motor since that will add up to the same effective distance traveled.

The problem is knowing the exact amount of time to get 90 deg, including acceleration, deceleration and wheel slip. If all you need to draw is something that looks sort-of-like a rectangle, then you can just estimate the motor on time with some experiments. Otherwise you need sensors. If your project needs accurate turn angles and repeatability you'll need to use some combination of wheel-encoders to tell you how far the wheels have gone and location devices like an electronic compass or ground sensors (In some cases the guts of a computer mouse could be used).

schip666 has good advice. In addition I think you will need better accuracy for making a 90 deg. turn than timing the motors. Perhaps you could incorporate a magnetic compass to tell you when you've turned 90 deg.

http://www.robotshop.com/magnetic-sensors-compass.html

closed loop control schipp is suggesting is always better than just "aim and shoot".

funamental principle - measure where you've gone and apply corrections to get where you're going. good life advice, too.

i like the idea of mouse sensors. they're made to measure where mouse has gone.

check out hobby robotics sites

my two cents...

Last edited:

oky thanks for all ... I found the solution finally it's so simple ..just use encoder to controll the wheels .. and when U want to make right angle (90 deg ) Make the wheel goes in the opposite direction of the second wheel ... ^_^ thank U schip666 :)

Related to How to turn my robot 90 degrees ?

1. What is the best way to turn my robot 90 degrees?

The best way to turn your robot 90 degrees depends on the type of robot you have and its capabilities. Some robots may have specific commands or functions built in for turning, while others may require you to program the movement yourself. It is important to consult the user manual or documentation for your specific robot to determine the best method.

2. Can I manually turn my robot 90 degrees?

It is possible to manually turn your robot 90 degrees, but this may not be the most accurate or efficient method. If your robot has wheels, you can physically turn them to change its direction. However, this may not be precise and can lead to inconsistent results.

3. How do I program my robot to turn 90 degrees?

The method for programming your robot to turn 90 degrees will vary depending on the programming language and software you are using. Generally, you will need to use a combination of commands or functions to control the motor or wheels responsible for the robot's movement. It may be helpful to consult online tutorials or guides for your specific programming environment.

4. Is there a shortcut command to turn my robot 90 degrees?

Some robots may have a shortcut command or function specifically for turning 90 degrees. This can save time and make programming easier, especially for beginners. Again, it is important to refer to the user manual or documentation for your robot to determine if this is available.

5. How can I ensure that my robot turns exactly 90 degrees?

To ensure that your robot turns exactly 90 degrees, it is important to consider the precision and accuracy of your robot's movements. This can be affected by factors such as the surface it is on, its weight distribution, and any external factors like wind or obstacles. It may be necessary to adjust your programming or use sensors to fine-tune the turn and achieve the desired angle.