How to Think Like a Mechanical Engineer

In summary, the conversation suggests that the best way to become a good engineer is to start working on projects and tinkering with different things. It is also recommended to read books and look into simple DIY or Arduino projects to gain a better understanding of basic principles. Online resources and forums can also be helpful in finding project ideas.
jdawg
Hi! So I was hoping to hear from some mechanical engineers about what sort of things I should be doing to become a good engineer. Are there any books you could recommend to read or maybe some projects to do that would help me to start thinking more like an engineer? I feel like all the people in my classes already know so much, and I'm basically starting from zero. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello jdawg, the best advice I could give you is to start working on a project, or build something. Tinkering with different things that interest you is the first step to understanding some of the basic principles you need to know in order to be an engineer; you will learn from the books as you go.

I would look into some simple DIY or Arduino projects to get started. There's an abundance of information/forums online with some great ideas. Good luck!

Just practice by doing real projects of some sort.

DarkHeavens said:
Hello jdawg, the best advice I could give you is to start working on a project, or build something. Tinkering with different things that interest you is the first step to understanding some of the basic principles you need to know in order to be an engineer; you will learn from the books as you go.

I would look into some simple DIY or Arduino projects to get started. There's an abundance of information/forums online with some great ideas. Good luck!

Thanks! Those projects look really cool :)

Hello there! As a scientist and a mechanical engineer, I would be happy to provide some advice on how to start thinking like an engineer.

First and foremost, it is important to develop a strong foundation of knowledge in mathematics and physics. These subjects are the backbone of engineering and will help you understand the principles and concepts that govern mechanical systems.

In addition to your academic studies, it is also beneficial to engage in hands-on projects and experiments. This will not only help you apply what you have learned, but also develop problem-solving skills and a deeper understanding of how things work.

As for books, I would recommend "Mechanical Engineering Principles" by John Bird and "Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design" by Richard G. Budynas and J. Keith Nisbett. These are both excellent resources for beginners in mechanical engineering.

In terms of projects, you can start with simple tasks such as building a small model car or constructing a basic machine. As you progress, you can take on more complex challenges such as designing and building a working prototype of a product.

Additionally, networking with other engineers and seeking mentorship can also greatly benefit your growth as an engineer. You can join engineering clubs or attend conferences and workshops to connect with professionals in the field and learn from their experiences.

Remember, becoming a good engineer takes time and dedication. Don't be discouraged by feeling like you are starting from zero. Keep learning, practicing, and seeking guidance, and you will gradually develop the mindset and skills of a successful engineer. Best of luck on your journey!

Related to How to Think Like a Mechanical Engineer

1. What is the first step in thinking like a Mechanical Engineer?

The first step in thinking like a Mechanical Engineer is to develop a strong foundation in math and physics. These subjects are the building blocks of engineering and will help you understand and solve complex problems.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills as a Mechanical Engineer?

To improve your problem-solving skills, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems. This will help you develop critical thinking skills and learn how to approach and solve different types of problems.

3. What role does creativity play in thinking like a Mechanical Engineer?

Creativity is a crucial aspect of thinking like a Mechanical Engineer. It allows you to think outside the box and come up with innovative solutions to complex problems. It also helps in designing new products and improving existing ones.

4. How can I stay updated with the latest advancements in the field of Mechanical Engineering?

To stay updated with the latest advancements, it is important to regularly read industry publications, attend conferences and workshops, and network with other engineers. This will help you stay informed about new technologies and techniques being used in the field.

5. What skills are essential for thinking like a Mechanical Engineer?

In addition to a strong foundation in math and physics, other essential skills for thinking like a Mechanical Engineer include critical thinking, problem-solving, creativity, attention to detail, and communication. It is also important to have a strong understanding of engineering principles and be proficient in using various software and tools.