How to test forecasting accuracy of regression model?

In summary, the speaker has completed their thesis and has a regression with an r² of 0.53 and mostly significant variables. They are wondering if it is possible to test the forecasting accuracy of this model in SPSS. They also mention wanting to construct a confidence interval for the forecast and provide a link for more information.
dune2
Hey, I have just finished running all the regressions for my thesis and I now have a nice 8-variable regression with an r² if 0.53. Almost all my hypothezised variables are significant. I am now wodering if there is a possibility to somehow test the forecasting accuracy of this model? I am using SPSS, is there anything that comes to mind? I just want to say something like: here is the printout, all is significant. Here is the forecasting equation, coefficients 1 though 8 do blablabla, forcasting accuracy is X. Is that possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you sound like you know more than I do but I know that when you are working with neural networks, you train the network on only part of the data, and you reserve the rest of the data to test the accuracy of the network--to see if the network correctly "predicts the past." Maybe you can see if your model correctly "predicts the past" if you have data available for testing that has not been input into your model.

You should first state the value of the "F" statistic for the overall regression.

It is possible to construct a confidence interval for the forecast; you first need to compute the standard error of the forecast. Then (lower bound, upper bound) = (Yhat - SEYhattc, Yhat + SEYhattc) where Yhat is the point forecast, SE is the standard error of Yhat, and tc is the critical t (= approx. 2).

See http://www.rand.org/pubs/papers/P4365/

Last edited:
Ah, thanks!

Related to How to test forecasting accuracy of regression model?

What is a regression model?

A regression model is a statistical method used to model the relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables. It aims to predict the value of the dependent variable based on the values of the independent variables.

What is forecasting accuracy?

Forecasting accuracy is a measure of how well a regression model can predict the values of the dependent variable. It is typically calculated by comparing the predicted values from the model to the actual values, using metrics such as mean squared error or R-squared.

How can I test the forecasting accuracy of a regression model?

One way to test the forecasting accuracy of a regression model is by using a holdout dataset. This involves splitting the original dataset into a training set and a test set. The model is trained on the training set and then used to predict values on the test set. The predicted values are then compared to the actual values in the test set to evaluate the model's accuracy.

What are some other methods for testing forecasting accuracy?

Aside from using a holdout dataset, cross-validation is another commonly used method for testing the forecasting accuracy of a regression model. This involves dividing the original dataset into multiple subsets and training the model on each subset while using the remaining subsets for testing. This allows for a more robust evaluation of the model's performance.

Are there any limitations to testing forecasting accuracy?

Yes, there are some limitations to testing forecasting accuracy. One limitation is that it only provides a measure of how well the model performs on the specific dataset it was tested on. The model's performance may vary on different datasets. Additionally, testing forecasting accuracy does not guarantee that the model will perform well in the future as it is based on past data.