Forecasting metric using regression. Is this a sound approach?

In summary, Wooody developed a model to predict the number of customers using the company's mobile app in 12 months. The model uses 8 days of daily data and a rolling average to predict the future. He plans to use a ARIMA model to validate the model.
Wooody
Hello,
First post here. I have some data I am trying to do some forecasting on and was hoping somebody who knows what they're actually doing can verify what I have done. A few years ago, the company I work for developed a mobile app for its customers and about 1 year ago they added some new features. The CTO came to me and asked me "Can you please give me a 12 month estimate on the number of customers using our mobile app?" and the data I have access to is:

(1) The number of customers registered each day for the last 8 years

(2) The number of customers who used their customerId in the app for the last 2 yearsThe first thing I thought I should do is just use simple linear regression on (2) for the forecast. Here is a rough representation of what that data looks like:

View attachment 9308

Firstly, if I was going to do a trend line here, would it be the right thing to do to just look at the data from around Jan of this year onwards where there is an obvious increase that aligns with the new features added to the app about a year ago (the red box below)?

View attachment 9309

Then I thought about another way to do this which is to for each date, determine the total number of customers for each date (a rolling number) and the number of customers using their Id in the app on each date (rolling) so I could determine the number of customers using the app with their customerId as a percentage of total patients (called Participation Rate). A dummy dataset is as follows:

View attachment 9310

With this dataset I would do regression on the number of Total Customers and predict that in 12 months and do regression on the participation rate to predict that in 12 months and then simply multiply the two forecasted numbers together. Is this a sound approach? If not is there a better way to achieve this?

Thanks

Attachments

• NumberOfCustomersUsingID.png
    NumberOfCustomersUsingID.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 65
  • NumberOfCustomersUsingIDThisYear.png
    NumberOfCustomersUsingIDThisYear.png
    4 KB · Views: 65
  • DummyNumbers.png
    DummyNumbers.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 66
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Wooody,

Welcome to MHB! :)

What you have is a time-series. These problems are very common in business and have gotten a lot of attention lately in the world I work in - machine learning. The math of these problems can be tricky but I will say that you have a very good data source. 8 days of daily data is a great start to build a model.

Rolling averages are usually part of these types of models, so you have good intuition. For such an applied problem though there are many free software tools that might be useful. Have you ever used R or Python?? Are you more interested in the theory here or a workable solution?

Jameson said:
Hi Wooody,

Welcome to MHB! :)

What you have is a time-series. These problems are very common in business and have gotten a lot of attention lately in the world I work in - machine learning. The math of these problems can be tricky but I will say that you have a very good data source. 8 days of daily data is a great start to build a model.

Rolling averages are usually part of these types of models, so you have good intuition. For such an applied problem though there are many free software tools that might be useful. Have you ever used R or Python?? Are you more interested in the theory here or a workable solution?
Hi Jameson,
Thanks for your reply. I was a math major in college about 10 years ago but after I finished I went and worked in web development/business intelligence/database administration and haven't done any real math since, so I'm fairly rusty.

Yes, I am working with R at the moment.

I am interested in both the theory and getting a workable solution but if I had to pick, I'd choose the latter.

Would it be correct to use a ARIMA model?

Wooody said:
Hi Jameson,
Thanks for your reply. I was a math major in college about 10 years ago but after I finished I went and worked in web development/business intelligence/database administration and haven't done any real math since, so I'm fairly rusty.

Yes, I am working with R at the moment.

I am interested in both the theory and getting a workable solution but if I had to pick, I'd choose the latter.

Would it be correct to use a ARIMA model?

Hi Wooody,

Great info! Thank you. Time Series forecasting is something I'm working on quite a bit at my day job so this is a great problem for me to see. Unfortunately i work at a software company so our product is very expensive. What I would suggest is using ARIMA to start with and see how the forecasts work. You'll need to be comfortable breaking up the data into a few periods though to validate that it's working well. It would be something like this:

• Train on January through December
  • Make predictions for next 1 year
  • Check error of predictions and adjust
  • Once final ARIMA model parameters are chosen, retrain model on most recent data

In your case you have a series that is significantly increasing over time, so doing something like differencing can help stabilize that jump to make better predictions.

Overall this is a tricky modeling problem and can take some time. If you are personally interested I think it's worth practicing because it's a great skill to develop. If you are under a time crunch then I think using a rolling average approach is a fine start. :)

1. What is regression and how is it used in forecasting metrics?

Regression is a statistical method used to analyze the relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables. In forecasting metrics, regression is used to predict future values of a metric based on historical data and other relevant factors.

2. How accurate is regression in forecasting metrics?

The accuracy of regression in forecasting metrics depends on various factors such as the quality of the data, the appropriateness of the model, and the stability of the underlying relationships. Generally, regression is considered a reliable method for forecasting metrics, but it is important to regularly evaluate and adjust the model to improve its accuracy.

3. Can regression be used for all types of metrics?

Regression can be used for a wide range of metrics, including continuous, categorical, and time-series data. However, the type of regression model and the assumptions made may vary depending on the type of metric being forecasted.

4. What are the limitations of using regression for forecasting metrics?

One limitation of using regression for forecasting metrics is that it assumes a linear relationship between the dependent and independent variables. In reality, this may not always be the case and can lead to inaccurate predictions. Additionally, regression models are sensitive to outliers and may not perform well if there are extreme values in the data.

5. How can the results of a regression model be interpreted in forecasting metrics?

The results of a regression model in forecasting metrics can be interpreted by looking at the coefficients of the independent variables. These coefficients indicate the strength and direction of the relationship between the variables. Additionally, statistical tests such as p-values can be used to determine the significance of the model and its individual variables.